Bozo alert to professors: Metallurgy term paper sold on eBay to be "recycled"

Yesterday on eBay somebody actually paid $125 for a metallurgy term
paper titled "AISI 4142 Steel for Automotive Crankshaft". It was
advertised as having obtained a grade of B+ in 2002 from Prof. Robert
Baren (Temple U.?)
I assume the buyer intends to fraudulently pass this recycled work off
as his own. When I went to school about thirty years ago we actually
did the work we turned in. Any comments?
Pittsburgh Pete
We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information
furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information
may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you
paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane
or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.
Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete
Other than maybe "you did your own work 30 years ago" not everyone else did then, or now, or ever. :/
It's mostly with the internet you get to see the cheating in action?
Alvin in AZ (never took a metallurgy class, never a need to cheat ;)
Reply to
alvinj
[lights] I think it's the closing lines after your sig that give the lie to your earlier statements!
Pittsburgh Pete wrote:
That's not a bad assessment of term papers as a class...
[/lights]
Reply to
Jeremy Williams
Jeremy:
Another illustration that most engineers have no sense of humor!
Those closing lines are nothing more than a parody of a disclaimer that used to appear at the end of journal articles, courtesy of the lawyers at U.S. Steel Corporation. For an example, see Corrosion, Vol. 36, No. 8, August 1980, page 445. The source text read as follows:
"Note: It is understood that this material is intended for general information only and should not be used in relation to any specific application without independent examination and verification of its applicability and suitability by professionally qualified personnel. Those making use thereof or relying thereon assume all risk and liability arising from such use or reliance."
Pittsburgh Pete
Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete