glass manufacturing - terminology survey

I am working on my thesis on the terminology of glass manufacturing, languages concerned being German, English and French. I am facing some problems because glass manufacturing is such an ancient industry and so is its language. For instance the same term may have a different meaning in English or German, a term might exist only in one of the three languages,.... Therefore I would be very much interested in finding already existing surveys on the development of this special language. I could not find anything so far, neither on the internet nor in German libraries. Perhaps somebody else has an idea? I would be very happy about any tip or hint in this direction. Thanks, Karin

Reply to
Karin

The International Commission on Glass has produced a series of "Dictionary of Glass-Making" which provide just what you are looking for. I have a 1965 edition, with English, French and German, and there is another with English, Czech and Russian, plus Italian and Spanish supplements, possibly more.

No ISDN number, I'm afraid, but maybe a Google Search will get you further. The Institut National du Verre in Charleroi looked after it back then.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Thank you very much for your answer. In the meantime I could get hold of the "Dictionary of Glass-making" with E, Fr and G and it really proofs to be very helpful. Especially the foreword mentions some of the problems I am facing, such as the different usage of terms around glass viscosity or the confusing variety of terms re. defects. Do you have any idea if or where I could find an even more detailed work about history and character of the glass language? As one example, it seems that somehow this language developed along with the special language of metal working but I would need some verification. Thanks for any ideas, Karin.

Reply to
Karin

There are quite a lot of books on the history of glass-making, and many articles in the various journals. Every three years the ICG holds the International Congress on Glass, and usually there is a section devoted to the History and Archaeology of Glass. You might find some of these fruitful sources. They tend to be published by the host society of the country where the Congress was held. The invited papers are usually put into one volume and sent to the participants. Somewhere I have a number of these, but where is another matter. I can recall some interesting papers from the 1968 ICG, held in London, the proceedings of which were published by the SGT. A good library ought to be able to help you to find them.

Reply to
Terry Harper