Major constituents of PAC

I am studying the flocculation of solutions of a number of viruses using polyaluminum chloride (PAC) [otherwise known a aluminum chlorohydrate].
Does anyone known what cationic species dominate in a solution of this material? I know one of the constituents is the crystalline nanoparticle 7+ species formed with 13 Al atoms along with oxygen and hydrogen, but there must be other cationic species present.
Most of the literature claims that PAC is made by base hydrolysis of aluminum chloride but the Alcoa website claims it is made by treating aluminum hydroxide with HCl. Anyone know if the two products are identical?
mike