Hydraulic Question

Have the need to put together a generator. Have a cat 3208 motor and allison automatic with a pto output. The motor is the drive engine for a large boat(stern wheel boat, 65 foot). I want to drive the gen head with the pto through hydraulic pump, flow control valve, hydraulic motor to the head. The head is a 12kw that needs 22 hp at 1800 rpm to run at full load. The motor will run from idle to aprox 1000 to 1100 rpm for cruise speed. Have plenty of extra hp to run the genset, only need aprox 85 hp to run boat at cruise speed. The cat is rated at 225 hp. Would like to have some spare hydraulic umph to also run a hydraulic controlled rudders. Won't take much for that. Need to know what pump/motor/flowcontrol configuration I should look for to make this work. Also, the pto unit has an air operated engage unit and the genhead I was looking at has a field disconnect that could be coupled to the tach to disconnect if rpm to low to drive the motor at the needed 1800 rpm. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have no problem working on anything, just don't have much experience with hydraulics and don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Briggs

Mike:

Take a look at this forum with a similar question:

If that doesn't get you there directly try
and look in the "The New Fluid Power Society Forum" at "I need constant flow from a pump for my sailboat " For your other hydraulic oil flow add a piggy back pump to the Load Sensing generator drive and have a secondary system separate from the generator drive.

Reply to
Bud Trinkel