Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

engineering tolerances
Hi all, Can somebody recommend me a good source of information (books, standards, articles etc) about the engineering tolerances for big parts? Say, if I would like to build a replica of an...

need help w/diaphragm load cell
I need help finding the calculations I need for a rather large diaphragm load cell. It needs to be about 4" dia. or on a side. I can only put the strain gauges on one side, so it will have to be half-...

Wire pull test instrument recommendation
Hello All: I have a mechanical force gauge that we use for measuring the force required to break crimped pins from wires. The force gauge is a "Wagner Force Dial" shown on this page. Our Manufacturing...
1
1

Seminar - Renewable Energy Investment Analysis Using RETScreen - Clarke Energy Institute, Barbados, Caribbean
Clarke Energy Institute invites you to a public Seminar on Renewable Energy Investment Analysis using RETScreen on 11 October 2011 at the Courtyard by Marriot, Barbados. Register at is powerful clean...

Continuous Welded Rail
The trend in railroad construction is to use very long rail segments that are welded seamlessly. These rail segments can be several miles in length and contain no expansion joints. During the summer...
10
10

Low Jerk Throttle & Brake Controllers for Public Buses
well, don't "reply" to the ****, if you like the smell so badly.
9
9

Stairmaster
How does the Stairmaster work? Does it control speed, force. or what? Does it operate open loop, or does it monitor and adjust to the effort and speed of the user? -- Rich
8
8

World's Strongest Man
Worlds Strongest Man We just got and order to make the bits for some massive Dumbells for the worlds strongest man competition in California this year The Circus style Dumbells are made from 8mm thick...

Work Experience at Pressure Vessel Factory
Hi, my name's Amelia and I'm studying Engineering at Durham university. This week I've been doing work experience at Abbott & Co (Newark) Ltd. I have been learning about a new pressure vessel / air...

2 Mass Scissors Helicopter for High Jerk Missile Evasion
Aircraft propulsion is inherently low jerk which makes it difficult for a conventional single mass helicopter to evade anti-aircraft fire. The solution is to design a helicopter in two sections...
36
36

Human-centered design Innovation Fellowship
Hi all, My name is Yi and I'm working for an NGO in Cambodia called International Development Enterprises (iDE). iDE is currently developing a human-centered design innovation lab, we=92re in the...

lapping
Is this a good group to ask about lapping?
8
8

Ultra Precision Alignment of Guide Rails
I need to hold .001 in. xyz tol. for a 4 meter long set of four guide rails. This is a heavy gauge formed bend/welded sheetmetal system. This type of construction was designed for low cost and I need...
1
1

Simplicity Thermo v Complexity Charlatans
And why would any sane person think a car manufacturer would be interested in a fuel additive? You mean like telling them to go to Chevron where someone might have some interest in a fuel additive?
1
1

square wheels challenge
| Can you design a vehicle, with square wheels, | which rolls smoothly? With the right road, yes. Use rack and pinion.
6
6