Cu/Zn diffusion couple

Anyone here successfully made one of these without access to quartz encapsulation facilities or vacuum/reducing furnace? I hollowed out a Cu rod and put a smaller solid zinc rod in the hole and then heated it to

440degC. It doesn't look like it worked because the the copper oxidised like mad. Any suggestions?
Reply to
Jeremy Robinson

You need an inert atmosphere.

I'm surprised you didn't have fibrous zinc oxide everywhere also.

Zinc and copper are tough to mix, especially because of the 3 features - 1) zinc's affinity for oxygen at high temps, and 2) the disparity between Tm for Cu vs Zn, and 3) Tv for Zn.

I have had limited success slowly dissolving zinc in copper in a vaccuum using a temperature below the Zn vaporization temp

Reply to
mhandley