Cu/Zn diffusion couple

Anyone here successfully made one of these without access to quartz encapsulation facilities or vacuum/reducing furnace? I hollowed out a Cu
rod and put a smaller solid zinc rod in the hole and then heated it to 440degC. It doesn't look like it worked because the the copper oxidised like mad. Any suggestions?
-
You need an inert atmosphere.
I'm surprised you didn't have fibrous zinc oxide everywhere also.
Zinc and copper are tough to mix, especially because of the 3 features - 1) zinc's affinity for oxygen at high temps, and 2) the disparity between Tm for Cu vs Zn, and 3) Tv for Zn.
I have had limited success slowly dissolving zinc in copper in a vaccuum using a temperature below the Zn vaporization temp