12" Disc Sander reccomendations

Your indulgence please. For folks with these machines: I have been wanting a 12" disc sander for years and having just used one a bit got me on the hunt now. I have almost all the makings for one. 12" disc, 1 HP 1725 RPM motor, tilt table, etc. Looking at catalog pics shows me various basic designs. What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model:

-What RPM is best?

-What should the table height be relative to the disc center?

-Any other subtle niceties?

Thanks & all the best, RichD, Atlanta

Reply to
RichD

Rpm is usually not something you have much choice of, determined by safety considerations. Dust collection is nice. Being all around heavy, etc is nice too.

I am going to pick up a 14" one next week, along with a dust collector, if you are in Chicagoland, and are interested, let me know.

Ignoramus32225

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:10:13 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, RichD quickly quoth:

1,725 seems to be the norm for RPM.

Centered?

Electric brake?

A high-end veneering shop I toured half a dozen years ago had a 20" disc sander and I drooled for weeks afterward.

-- We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies. -- Etty Hillesum

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight and have been plenty happy with it. Keep in mind that if you get a 12" the real working area is less than 6". If you're doing wood work, get the biggest disc you can find. There are times when I wish I had a 20" but most of the time 12" is OK

Reply to
Gerry

That looks pretty solid.

If you are doing wood, 3500 rpm is too fast, and will burn everything. Better to use 1750 rpm.

RPM is controlled by available motor speeds, not safety per se.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I do not know if I could lift one into my truck. Maybe I will have to take it apart.

Good point. I will see if it is 1 or 3 phase.

Ignoramus32225

My 9" disk is mounted to a 1725 RPM face mount oil burner (1/4 HP) motor, tilt table above centre, adjustable guide fence, with the lower half of the disk enclosed and vented to the dust collector. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Thanks guys. I've seen a few old iron US made machines now and the table was well below center and the ends wrap around. One more thing occured to me. Reversible motor. No reason I can think of not to have this. It's a great feature on my 5" diamond engraver flat wheel. When you have to use the right side of the disc and it's coming *up* it can get real interesting real quick! RichD, in DRY Atlanta

Reply to
RichD

If he's not I am.

Reply to
marc.britten

Reply to
Ignoramus10340

Variable speed makes any sander/grinder much more versatile. Slow speeds allow sanding heat sensitive materials and provide better control of stock removal. High speeds work well for hard/fast stock removal and good surface finish. VFD's are cheap and easy to hookup, plus a 3-phase motor runs much smoother. I would go for 2 hp. if possible. I have a 1 hp motor on my 8" disk/belt grinder and there are times when I would like a little more power.

Randal

Reply to
Randal O'Brian