1996 Blazer AC Request not working

Since this group seems to be the keeper of all(nearly) knowledge, I thought I would start here....

I have a 1996 Blazer that the AC request signal quit on. The clutch still works, I apply 12V to the pins on the clutch and it kicks right in. For some reason, the AC req is not getting set.

Anyone have any ideas? I have checked for loose connections on everything, but have not found anything obvious.

I dont' have a code scanner to check and see what it thinks is wrong. I know what my options are(evap temp sensor, blower speed sensor, low refrigerent sensor, etc) but dont' have a good way of figuring it out until I get a chance to borrow a code scanner.

Thanks

JW

Reply to
jw

I doubt your code scanner will give you what you need. You need a service manual which should have the diagnostic tree for nonoperative AC.

If your AC hardware is all OK it would seem it has to be your dash switches, a fuse, or wiring.

I did this recently for my cruise control and found that it was the cruise control module that was broken. I didn't have a service manual so I bought one off ebay, a duplicate CD version, I didn't care, works fine. Handy to have. Your vehicle is the same year as mine '96, about time you had a service manual anyway.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

When freon is low the system won't let the cluch engage. Preventing damage, bypass the presure switch on the dryer if the cluch engages its low freon.

Reply to
tim

Just a guess - a thermostat in the air system some where is stuck open or the line is open.

But I don't do that for a living - but remember where my book is - Used book store. Look one of those up - they have Chilton books there for sale cheap - and have many many years.

jw wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

First thing is check the low-side pressure. You probably have a refrigerant leak and the pressure cutouts are not letting the system engage. You can get a cheap gage for about $20.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I have typically bought the "real" service manual for all of my vehicles, but never got around to it on this one. For the most part, it has been solid. It's accumulated 140k and nothing strange has happened to it. Replaced a bad alternator(typical of GM), and basics(brakes, filters, etc). At this point I figure it is down to about a year of serviceable life left(I drive a lot so that will be around 170k).

Maybe I will check and see if the library has a Chilton's. They are miserable manuals, but they might be enough to get me by.

I know someone with a set of gauges, I will see if I can borrow them and check the freon levels. Maybe it just needs a boost, but it had been working pretty good up till then.

JW

Reply to
jw

Can I just jumper it? I thought so, but wasn't entirely sure so didn't want to try it until I looked at a schematic.

JW

Reply to
jw