$50

Known in the trade as a "rattle can overhaul."

Reply to
rangerssuck

Don't a lot of those old forklifts have the same Continental engines?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:02:37 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So ... "All this shit, there may even be a pony around here!"?

I know a couple guys who might get it, 'just because it has possibilities...'

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Bueno, bwana. Sounds like a plan. If you have any air pigs, fill them and take them, too.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Aerosol overhaul in some circles.

John

Reply to
John

I took this welder to a scrap yard. It was FUBAR due to having been left outside for years, without a rain cap. Still made money, but wasted time.

Reply to
Ignoramus9529

RIP

Reply to
rangerssuck

It sat outside for several (many) years, with the exhaust stack lacking a cap. It looked like it was beyond redemption, I did not feel like bringing it home. The guys who told me this had no reason to lie.

I tried cranking it, it would not crank.

Scrap value was $129 in cash.

Ignoramus9529

Now try to value your time at the minimum wage per hour and come back to us when the assembly is complete.

Ignoramus9529

You could probably have sold the welding bell end for triple that.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And those "favors" are taxable transactions, whether you like it or not.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Taxable, but not traceable. A crucial difference!!!

Ignoramus9529

Barter transactions are hard to prove, income from free labor is even harder to prove, and why would they want to waste time on you? Even if they prove that you hid $3k of income, they would not get much due to you being in a low tax bracket -- and they cannot easily prove anything of this sort, anyway.

Plus, how much is it exactly worth to receve in-kind services that could not even fix a rusted shut welder for a year? The answer is that this is worth nothing.

You can take that pile of rusted stuff to a scrap yard and get approximately $145 (with the trailer that it is on). And you get paid in cash, too.

Ignoramus30780

I guess the lesson is, if you're going to break the law, it's not smart to piss people off. And if you're going to piss people off, it's not smart to break the law.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

.

It is also smart, if you're going to break the law, to not post the evidence on the internet, clearly traceable back to yourself.

Reply to
rangerssuck

15 years ago, I had a USENET weirdo "The Right Reverend Colin James III", send faxes to my then employer, demanding that I be fired immediately.

IOW, I want to have nothing to do with using authorities to help resolve USENET battles.

Ignoramus30780

I agree completely. I've seen some awful things that were enabled by allowing anonymity to vicious nutbags.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As he has done. Various references to various bodies in the desert.

Reply to
rangerssuck

But, if they're picking that up from his postings here, who would take him seriously enough to investigate?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Apr 29, 9:57=A0am, Ignoramus30780

I second that.