$50

Ignoramus7326 wrote:

What happens when one blows out while it is being pulled down the road? Depends on the speed and the road you have to travel.
Can you just stuff the whole thing in your army trailer?
Jon
Ignoramus7326 wrote:

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?
Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.
Bob
Ignoramus7326 wrote:

If you can schlep a compressor or even a tank out there, just fill them up and see if they'll hold air long enough to get to the shop. Or put it up on blocks, pull the wheels and tires and haul them to the shop, or put the whole thing on another trailer to drag it to the shop. You were planning on taking it home anyway, right?
Or, hey! Even a car dolly or a couple of creepers/4-wheelers chould do the trick.
But I'd definitely replace the tires rather than try to patch them up.
Given that, get a yellow flasher ("Slow Vehicle!") and you could drag it on the rims, at 5 or 10 MPH. (BTDT) ;-)
BTW, where is this, geographically? Just curious.
Have Fun! Rich
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:44:47 -0500, Ignoramus7326

I suggest jacking each wheel off the ground so it might take air if the tire has been broken free of the bead. I also recommend repacking the wheel bearings before towing it any distance, or adding grease to both inner and outer bearings before moving it. If you've ever done it before, it won't take but an hour for both.
You might also take blocks and set the axle down on those, then take the wheels/tires to the nearest garage for inflating if they won't do so there. (Be sure to haul your floor jack with you on this run, as they easily beat using a bottle jack.) The tires are likely 6-ply and will run forever with air in them, even with horrid cracks in the sidewalls. Yours is a short run, yes?
-- Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good. --Harry Dresden

It is about 40 miles.
I guess, the plan is
1) Take a floor jack and a bottle jack 2) Take lots of wood blocks 3) Take the wheels off the floor and try to inflate with a compressor 4) If that fails, take the wheels to a tire place for new tires 5) Repack bearings 6) go home i
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:25:54 -0500, Ignoramus14859

Bueno, bwana. Sounds like a plan. If you have any air pigs, fill them and take them, too.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
I took this welder to a scrap yard. It was FUBAR due to having been left outside for years, without a rain cap. Still made money, but wasted time.

RIP

It sat outside for several (many) years, with the exhaust stack lacking a cap. It looked like it was beyond redemption, I did not feel like bringing it home. The guys who told me this had no reason to lie.
I tried cranking it, it would not crank.
Scrap value was $129 in cash.

Now try to value your time at the minimum wage per hour and come back to us when the assembly is complete.

And those "favors" are taxable transactions, whether you like it or not.

Taxable, but not traceable. A crucial difference!!!

Barter transactions are hard to prove, income from free labor is even harder to prove, and why would they want to waste time on you? Even if they prove that you hid $3k of income, they would not get much due to you being in a low tax bracket -- and they cannot easily prove anything of this sort, anyway.
Plus, how much is it exactly worth to receve in-kind services that could not even fix a rusted shut welder for a year? The answer is that this is worth nothing.
You can take that pile of rusted stuff to a scrap yard and get approximately $145 (with the trailer that it is on). And you get paid in cash, too.
<snip>

I guess the lesson is, if you're going to break the law, it's not smart to piss people off. And if you're going to piss people off, it's not smart to break the law.
--
Ed Huntress

It is also smart, if you're going to break the law, to not post the evidence on the internet, clearly traceable back to yourself.

15 years ago, I had a USENET weirdo "The Right Reverend Colin James III", send faxes to my then employer, demanding that I be fired immediately.
IOW, I want to have nothing to do with using authorities to help resolve USENET battles.

I agree completely. I've seen some awful things that were enabled by allowing anonymity to vicious nutbags.
--
Ed Huntress

On Apr 29, 10:32am, Ignoramus30780 <ignoramus30...@NOSPAM. 30780.invalid> wrote:> If he admitted to being a serial killer, I would see this

As he has done. Various references to various bodies in the desert.
30780.invalid> wrote:> If he admitted to being a serial killer, I would see this

But, if they're picking that up from his postings here, who would take him seriously enough to investigate?
--
Ed Huntress

On Apr 29, 9:57am, Ignoramus30780

I second that.