A 1-year update

Whatever works. I enjoyed smoking for 49 years. I quit a couple of times but only for a few months each time. This time I used no aids at all other than post-op misery that masked the minor matter of wanting a smoke. No drugs, patches, gum, etc. I think the big difference is that I wasn't really totally committed the other times. This time I was. The doc made it real clear for me: quit RFN and stay quit or die soon. I asked how soon. He said months, not years. Oh! This was just before surgery. I told Mar to get rid of all smoking materials before I got home, including the carton I'd just bought that was still in the trunk of my car. And so she did, and that was that.

I didn't say I quit wanting ... but that goes away in less than a minute now and it's only a couple of times per day so no big deal. Skeeter bites.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 11 May 2009 01:02:33 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It is easy to quit, I've done it several times.

I "seriously" smoked in High School, but quit when cigs went to two bucks a carton. But fifteen years later, faced with a balky compiler, I was out the door to the computer room and slapping my pocket before I remembered I'd quit fifteen years before.

Kicking the nicotine is tough enough, but it is the habits of the hands which are the real challenge. Good luck

pyotr

pyotr filipivich