AA battery hack secret

snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) wrote:

Actually, the wife is there now buying AAs, and the current price is 36 for $12.29 (Duracell Alkaline) so that's about $11 for 32. If the 6V cost you $8 then all you would be saving was $3 by trying to rip open the lantern battery. I'd rip open a few that looked like they might be large enough just for the fun of it to see if any were made with AA cells, but I'd never do it just to save $3.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
On 23 Sep 2007 21:01:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

I just picked a couple more 15-packs for $5ea. (-$3ea mail-in rebate), but I usually buy the Eveready Gold 24-packs for $6.65 on sale at Bi-Mart. Alkalines are the way to go.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) writes:

If the lantern battery was Alkaline.....

... it would (and does) cost about 11 bux.

So, what's inside your lantern battery?
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

"And what is inside your drum, little boy, that makes all that noies?" :)
John
It's still good so I don't want to tear it apart to find out.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
On 04 Oct 2007 19:28:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

I'm surprise nobody here has come up with a jury-rigged x-ray unit (for you to use to find out what's in the case) yet.
-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

If I still worked on nuclear gamma cameras, I'm thinking I would have already tried this, yes.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Find a friendly dentist, & get him to X-ray it. (We did this at work, many years ago, with a competitor's product :)

Well, this is interesting enough to bring in to work and put on the scanner, if I worked with 'em every day anymore. Doesn't rise to the level of interesting enough to go out of my way though.
When I was a kid I had a book that told how to make an xray machine from a vacumn tube and some electronic components. Karl

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:52:04 -0700, Larry Jaques

I found a plastic cased ever ready and it had 4 Fs

snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) wrote:

According to the reference I found, a Lantern battery is supposed to be 115 mm High,and AA are supposed to be 50.5 mm Of course it IS a Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

jk

"Of course". So is the page wrong, or are you? Do you notice anything about the numbers 50.5 and 115? Like, a ratio by any chance?

Mine is about 109 mm to the top of the springs. And mine has spent most it's life installed in a lantern which has probably caused the springs to compress. So a new one could well have springs that stick up to 115 mm.
I'm sure you could design an lantern batter that used AA cells that would still fit in standard lanterns because you would only have to increase the size of the case by about 1/2 the length of the springs on my battery.
I'm still betting that the video is real by my Radio Shack Alkaline no doubt has the F cells in it. I feel the need to search for 6V lantern batteries with a slightly larger case and rip it open.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non- consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery for NO gain.
Stan
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

Can't say there will be no gain, as someone will end up wiser, and will no longer beleive everything they read on the internet.
What price an education? :-)
Cheers Trevor Jones
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

What I have seen done with some battery manufacturers is to make up a C cell with a smaller AA cell inside the C cell enclosure. I think it was when the recharageables first came out. You thought you were buying a full C cell until you opened it up.
John

Different makes and models have different internal construction. I have taken apart more than a few batteries. Some 9-volts had the 6 AAA (or smaller?) sized batteries, some were a stack of 6 rectangles. After all, think about the voltage and proportions of a 9-volt.
Not unreasonable to assume that maybe, just maybe, the video applies to some but not all varieties of the same externally similar type of battery.