AA battery hack secret

Wrong. The 'A' battery supplied the filaments. the 'B' battery supplied the plate, or B+, and the 'C" battery supplied the grid bias. Some radios used a separate 'C' battery, and there a re reports of fifty year old 'C' batteries still supplying the full terminal voltage. They had no load when the radio was turned off, even though they weren't switched.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh dear Crom...two Liberals lost their entire cognitive powers. Industrial accidents can be horrible. Brrr.

I wonder if they even noticed the loss?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If the lantern battery was Alkaline.....

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

In article , DoN. Nichols wrote: : I wish that I could *see* the video. Even with flash installed :and turned on, I can't see it on a browser running in my unix system, :which makes me think that it is yet another web site tailored to depend :on the unique bugs found in Internet Explorer, and it just won't run on :anything other than a Windows system. (Just like the system run for :patients to check up on their status with my doctor's group -- it won't :work fully on anything other than a Windows system. : : Can anyone tell me what brand of battery is being disassembled :in the video?

The video plays just fine for me. I'm running CentOS 5 (aka RHEL 5, basically a snapshot of Fedora Core 6), Firefox 1.5.0, and Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31.

There's no brand visible on the label. Apparently the brand name has been blacked out. The label just reads "Heavy Duty powercell," and looks like the label on Walgreen's store brand batteries.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

... it would (and does) cost about 11 bux.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The diodes would be in parallel, not series. One diode for each 4 cell 6V string, Eight diodes in all. If they were Schottky diodes, the voltage drop might be acceptable. But the cost just keeps going up. Unless the production rate of F cells has dropped to the point where they are uneconomic.

Be much more fun to have two proper sized Lithium cells. IED anyone?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

And "C" for bias voltage. I can remember a few that had them. ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

YEP. The "C" negative term went to the grid resistor and thence to the grid with the input coupled via. a capacitor. Hence no circuit path. No current drain. ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

Now you are pulling our legs. You have a " B " battery for plate voltage and just why do you have a rectifier tube?

The confusion is that there were A , B and C batteries for filaments, plate voltage , and grid bias. But then there is also AAA, AA, C, D, and F cells where the letter designates the size. I can't readily find any source for the size designations, but it must be in some NEMA standard.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Well, I've worked on an old battery set that, like a car radio of the time, had a multivibrator to make the high plate voltages from a lower battery voltage. IIRC the main battery was 12 volts. Most of the "valves" or vacuum tubes ran on either 12 volts or six (2 in series) but the rectifier has a 1 or 2 volt filament. It used an "ignition" battery - one of those that used to run doorbells, fencers, and battery ignitions on some stationary engines years ago. It was called the "F"ilament battery. I think it was some sort of "farm" radio.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

According to Ed Huntress :

[ ... ]

That was not what I was suggesting. See below (use a fixed pitch font to avoid distortion of my ASCII drawing.)

(-) (+) | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+ | | +-:|-:|-:|-:|-|>|-+

Here I use the more compact notation -:|- in place of the more normal symbol for a cell of:

| --| |-- | and -|>|- as the closest that I can come to a single diode.

A "(-)" or "(+)" is a polarity sign for a terminal, while a '+' without parens around it is a junction of two wires at right angles, or a 90 degree bend in the wire.

So -- there would be only a single diode drop in series with each series group of four cells -- 0.6 to 0.7 Volts for a silicon diode, or about 0.15 Volts for a germanium diode (if you can still find those. :-)

Hmm ... what is the forward drop for a copper-oxide rectifier? It has been ages since I have last seen them used anywhere except in the rectifier in a multimeter or a panel-mount AC voltmeter -- which may suggest that it is a pretty low drop. And it might be pretty easy to make them as part of the strips bussing the cell groupings together.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

But the "F" here indicates the *physical* dimensions of the cell, not its function in the circuit, just as the 'D', 'C', 'AA' and 'AAA' cells which are still common designate a physical size. I'm trying to remember the designator for the *big* single cells with a pair of knurled nuts on the top for connection (or sometimes a Fhanestock clip for each terminal). Those may have been 'G'. I know that as a kid I made lots of things working from those.

The 'A' and 'B' designations were irrespective of physical size (and the 'B' batteries covered a fairly wide range of voltage as well.) I've used ones with 45V, 67-1/2V, and 135V. And, IIRC, the 'A' batteries were the filament supply, 'B' for plate voltage, and 'C' (if used) for negative bias supplies to get the filament closer to cutoff. Most more recent tube circuits added a resistor in series with the cathode, and bypassed that with a capacitor to provide a fairly stable bias voltage, thus reducing the number of batteries (or supplies) needed. This was termed "self bias".

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Robert Nichols :

O.K. What platform? If it is Intel based it may have a newer version of Flash available for it. I've got:

====================================================================== Flash Player 7 for Solaris Version 7.0.67.0 December 2006 ======================================================================

so only about 3/4 of a year old, yet two major version numbers lower. It seems that they take longer to get a given version out for the SPARC platform than for the Intel platform.

Thanks.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

How about Schottky diodes?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I worked on hundreds of old radios in the '60s and '70s, and still have a lot of service data. The people on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono have a lot more.

All I have ever seen used in a car radio was the 0Z4 gas rectifier, or a regular 6 or 12 volt filament regulator like the 6AX4 and 12AX4. A very few used a synchronous vibrator, and eliminated the need for a rectifier. (Till the contacts welded).

Farm radios were 32 volts, to run of the winchargers used to charge the batteries for lights in a farmhouse.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell

[ ... ]

What is the forward voltage drop on those? I don't remember ever actually using them in something. And what do they cost compared to making copper-oxide rectifiers in place?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

That's the size and shape -- but a bit older than the ones which I used. Mine were mostly Eveready, and some were thumb nut terminals, instead of the Fahnestock clips which were on this one.

Unfortunately -- that just said "dry cell", just as I remembered for most -- but there *was* a size letter for them. (Or was it "No. 6" instead?)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I thought they were 48 volts? Hence our telephone systems still run

48 volts talk battery.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nope...32 volts. I have my grandmother's 32 volt Delco radio. Still works! They had a wind carger, and shelves of glass-jar batteries in the basement...before REA came through.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett