AA battery hack secret

They wer not "multivibrators" just vibrator. there were the single and "synchronus" varities, (which eliminated the need for a rectifier). Then there were the rectifiers that didnt need fil. voltage ( OZ4 or some such it's been a way to long to remember). I had been playing around with such in the early 40s. Anything else you would like to know about vibrator power supplies? ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

Right on. My great uncles lived on a farm with such and I spent lots of time with them while a kid. in the early 40s. In fact was there on the infamous Dec day. ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

Can't say about ALL, but the one I remember was 32V. Boy what an impressive bank of glass batteries with charge indicator balls in each one. ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

DoN. Nichols wrote: > I'm

"doorbell" batteries. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

lew hartswick fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

My favorite toys at age 11 were a pair of WeCo "test batteries". Each was a dry cell pack totalling 48V with a Fahnestock clip at each 6v tap. What a cool thing for a kid to create mayhem with!

My VW microbus had a tube radio with a non-syncronous vibrator supply. (it also had an electrically-wound mechanical clock in the dash... every five minutes or so, you'd hear the solenoid yank the winding pawl -- Clunk!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

In article , DoN. Nichols wrote: :According to Robert Nichols : :> :> The video plays just fine for me. I'm running CentOS 5 (aka RHEL 5, :> basically a snapshot of Fedora Core 6), Firefox 1.5.0, and Shockwave :> Flash 9.0 r31. : : O.K. What platform? If it is Intel based it may have a newer :version of Flash available for it. I've got: : : ====================================================================== :Flash Player 7 for Solaris :Version 7.0.67.0 :December 2006 : ====================================================================== : :so only about 3/4 of a year old, yet two major version numbers lower. :It seems that they take longer to get a given version out for the SPARC :platform than for the Intel platform.

My CPU is an Intel Pentium 4. Flash Player 7 is the likely problem. A lot of sites, including the comcast.net home page, require a newer version now. I had a similar problem for a while because no Linux version of Flash Player 8 was ever released. Linux users had to wait for version 9.

According to

is a Flash Player 9 available for Solaris 10.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Yes, they were a #6 cells, used for hand crank telephones and early burglar alarms. They were so easy to buy, and so cheap that they were used in school science classes.

BTW, I just found the outer casing of that 6 V Energizer lantern battery, with the four compartments for 'F' cells. I just found another lantern battery that I haven't opened. It has no label, but it is in the same case as the other battery. The springs are corroded off the top, so I'll bet that its a real mess inside.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Plays fine on my Debian box with flash 9, but won't show on the FreeBSD box with flash 7.

First video: 6v -> 32 AA

Second video: 12v A23 -> 8 buttons

Third video: 6v -> 4 F

Steve Ackman

No, doesn't make sense. A battery for a radio with a power rectifier tube? That's like saying a gas cap for an electric car.

"A" is filament battery, "B" is B+ (plate) battery, "C" is bias battery (although many radios were cleverly designed to not need a bias battery).

Most commonly the "A" battery was a single lead-acid storage cell. You can tell because the tubes were rated for 2.0V filaments (a lead-acid cell under discharge is 1.9 to 2.0V).

Do not confuse "A", "B", "C" batteries with industry-standard cell sizes. Battery is not the same as cell!

The F cell is just two sizes larger than the D cell. :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Again, you're mixing things up. Rectifier tubes along with battery run filaments just doesn't make sense. Like saying a gas cap for an electric car. Or an extension cord for natural gas. You're mixing metaphors!

2V filament tubes were designed for use with lead-acid cells. (Each cell is 1.9 to 2.0V under discharge).

Ignition batteries (aka "Number 6 cells") are 1.5V. There are 1.5V tubes used in portable radio equipment from the 30's/40's/50's, because if you're carrying something around you do not want to carry around a sloshy heavy lead-acid cell (this was of course the days before sealed cells and gel-cells) but a lighter and more portable (if less economical) carbon-zinc cell.

Lots of farm radios. All used 2V tubes and a single-lead-acid cell for the filament, or 6V tubes and three lead acid cells in series for the filament, or occasionally some weird funky combination.

Ah, ignition cells. I remember cutting them open with a hacksaw when I was six years old to get the carbon rods out to try to make carbon arc lamps with hacked up extension cords. They kinda sorta worked. I can't believe I survived being six... or seven... ("geez, why did all my solder disappear in a bright blue flash when I touched it with the soldering iron") or eight... ("I'll just hold onto this antenna wire as I climb around on the roof of the house") or nine... ("Wowza, maybe I should let the power supply discharge before I touch the 800V B+")

The kids electricity books of the time actually *did* tell you to cut open batteries to get the carbon rods. And I'm not particularly old! (OK, the books were a little dated by the time I found them, and maybe they weren't aimed at six year olds...)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

According to lew hartswick :

[ ... ]

Well ... something else to *add*. The typical automotive vibrator ran somewhere near 60 Hz (since there were lots of 60Hz transformers around), but I had (and may still have somewhere) a special vibrator and matching transformer which had the reed weighted to lower the frequency to 20 Hz, and it was used to generate the ring signal for small telephone exchanges -- from before the Sub-Cycle passive devices to do the same thing by dividing the 60 Hz power line frequency by three. (I never have been able to find out exactly how they did that, but I have two sealed units of that type -- different load capacities.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Robert Nichols :

[ ... ]

O.K.

Thanks. I've just downloaded it, and have yet to install it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Steve Ackman :

Thanks! DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I remember the vibrators being something like 255 hz. High frequency is easier to filter, and works just fine on lower frequency transformers.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca
[ ... ]

O.K. I can accept that. I never bothered to check the frequency (I didn't have a way to do so back when I had normal vibrators. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No scope? :)

Someone scanned the Mallory vibrator data sheets and posted it on alt.binaries.pictures.radio a while back. I saved the images to my hard drive, but it must have been before the first of the year, and on my old WIN ME computer that isn't available at the moment. There were several frequencies, from 60 HZ, up The 60 HZ were common in ham radio and CB gear, so you could use the same power transformer for AC or DC operation. I think that a lot of car radio vibrators were 115 HZ, which would cause about a little 230 HZ ripple. I'll see if I can find those images. There are a lot of collectors on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if anyone has any serious questions, or needs help finding parts and information on old radios.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not when I was playing with vibrators. Once I had a scope, I had no vibrators left (except the 20 Hz one), nor any real interest.

O.K. So I could have encountered 60 Hz ones. The ones which I got all came from a surplus place in Cambridge Mass -- Eli's.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You are correct - it WAS 115hz, with a 230 hz ripple to filter out, now that you mention it.

I used to put one on an ignition coil and hook the secondary to a foil tape over a mylar tape on the bottom of the leading edge of the hood of my old Valiants and Darts to keep curious fingers at bay. When the hood came up 1/2" the leading edge was live. I forgot to turn it off before checking the oil at least twice ---- Sure charged up the old bateries!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Pam anderson said that would be fine with her...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I recall reading about subharmonic convertors in a book on magnetic amplifiers and the like.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn