AA battery hack secret

Don - I didn't understand much of the telephone industry electronics either :-). Possibly some weird trick with using ferromagnetics in what is in fact a non-passive way. Were the converters by any chance unusually heavy and dense, indicating a lot of iron? Oh, never mind, everything done in the phone industry in those days was unusually heavy and dense! Modern phones just feel so cheesy!

Indeed, most Mallory automotive/truck radio vibrators that I've seen are rated for 230 Hz nominal. I think that was about the limit for the mechanical construction used. Electrolytics were not as reliable or as plentiful in those days as they are now, so anything that let them get by with smaller filter capacitors was worthwhile.

There are higher frequency tuning-fork vibrators used for DC instrument choppers... this was the 1960 timeframe. I think HP's (and others) opto-choppers took over by the 70's.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I was remembering something like 100 CPS. But my memory isn't what it use to be. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

That agrees with what I sort of remember. Thanks. ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

[ ... ]

Yes -- heavy and dense. Sealed cans, with any possible remaining air space filled with tar. :-) It might have been some tricks with mag amps (saturable reactors) among other things.

They looked more like mil-spec transformers than anything else, sealed cans with glass or ceramic insulators on the terminal feedthroughs.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Joseph Gwinn :

That makes sense as part of the task. The next trick is to derive the control inputs to the magamps from the input frequency.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to the reference I found, a Lantern battery is supposed to be 115 mm High,and AA are supposed to be 50.5 mm Of course it IS a Wiki

jk

Reply to
jk

"Of course". So is the page wrong, or are you? Do you notice anything about the numbers 50.5 and 115? Like, a ratio by any chance?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's still good so I don't want to tear it apart to find out.

Reply to
Curt Welch

Mine is about 109 mm to the top of the springs. And mine has spent most it's life installed in a lantern which has probably caused the springs to compress. So a new one could well have springs that stick up to 115 mm.

I'm sure you could design an lantern batter that used AA cells that would still fit in standard lanterns because you would only have to increase the size of the case by about 1/2 the length of the springs on my battery.

I'm still betting that the video is real by my Radio Shack Alkaline no doubt has the F cells in it. I feel the need to search for 6V lantern batteries with a slightly larger case and rip it open.

Reply to
Curt Welch

On 04 Oct 2007 19:28:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

I'm surprise nobody here has come up with a jury-rigged x-ray unit (for you to use to find out what's in the case) yet.

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If I still worked on nuclear gamma cameras, I'm thinking I would have already tried this, yes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I found a plastic cased ever ready and it had 4 Fs

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Find a friendly dentist, & get him to X-ray it. (We did this at work, many years ago, with a competitor's product :)

Reply to
David R Brooks

Well, this is interesting enough to bring in to work and put on the scanner, if I worked with 'em every day anymore. Doesn't rise to the level of interesting enough to go out of my way though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Lots of discussion. Lots of no answers. Lots of theories. As Mythbusters would say, "plausible".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just a word of warning...

I took apart a (10 year old, completely dead) 9v battery this morning & as stated there seemed to be 6 AAA cells inside.

I put them to one side on my desk while I did something else. About 5 minutes later, I heard a loud bang. Looking down, two of the cells were now missing. I found the body of one about 4m away & something from the inside stuck to the wall about 2m away in the opposite direction. I couldn't find the button from the end of the cell.

I gathered up what I could find of all the cells & put them in the bin outside.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

Dom.

Reply to
Dom

They build them two ways: Like yours, with six "AAAAA" cells stacked just like a 'six pack', and with a vertical stack of little rectangular lumps that look like the bastard child of a sardine can.

The inner cells have no casing, just a plastic or wax coating of some sort over the raw zinc. Any pressure that builds up from inner cell case decomp could easily pop the cell top off if you don't have it in the outer crimped steel case to mechanically hold it on.

Same thing for the 6V square lantern batteries - I've seen some with stacked square cells, some with grouped tall cells. All depends on who designed the production equipment.

Never seen built-up dry batteries with more than one string of cells in series, since complex series/parallel arrangements with 50 AA's in a lantern battery would have too many chances to fail. With a simple series string they can do a simple "Go/No Go" voltage check at the end of the production line.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I remember a young man seeing the same thing in a failure mode analysis. In those days, one company figured out how to do a production version while another didn't have the technology or room - and did it a different way.

I had access to some NiCads in the 50's that were developed for the Air force. Those were interesting. Small and were stacked for voltage. We got them after so many hours of use - and we got what was left in the package. Like Tubes - after 10 hours - swap them out. Finally it went to once a week. Transistors were like that at first - until reliability was understood.

Back to batteries - the drill packs are button types in series and parallel routes. A cell failed then current dropped. A section would be isolated due to being out of voltage. The others took over.

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It was stated that they'd be AAAA cells.

Not buying it. Where do you pretend all of this energy came from for your alleged noise and motion, exactly?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Reply to
Dave Hinz