Ammunition purchases and Homeland Security

wrote:

"The Pew Research Center has tracked gun ownership since 1993, and our surveys largely confirm the General Social Survey trend. In our December 1993 survey, 45% reported having a gun in their household; in early 1994, the GSS found 44% saying they had a gun in their home. A January 2013 Pew Research Center survey found 33% saying they had a gun, rifle or pistol in their home, as did 34% in the 2012 wave of the General Social Survey."
Next time, read it before expounding your conclusions, Ok?

See above. It squares quite nicely with Pew's studies. And if you know how the GSS is seriously "flawed," you can become famous.

Bad guesswork on your part. Studies like the GSS pre-test and post-test six ways to Sunday. They've thought of, and tested and corrected for, potential biases that you haven't even considered.
And you run into situations like this: Pro-gun people who talk before thinking, or who talk before studying, constantly cite the Kleck study on defensive uses of a gun. For God's sake, that's a self-reported survey with no pre-test checks, and Kleck estimates up to 2.5 million defensive uses. It's interesting that his estimates for burglary defenses work out to more than 100% of the burglaries committed with a homeowner in the house <g>, but aside from that, what better evidence do you need that people are MORE than willing to brag about having a gun at home? Some of them claimed they've used their guns in defense of their home dozens of times...
So your comment about my "assumptions" being "deeply flawed" are taken with a large grain of salt. I'm not making assumptions. I've actually done the work, both academically and in actual field studies, for marketing clients and for others who were satisfying government (FCC) requirements.
How many surveys have you done?
--
Ed Huntress

On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:55:55 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ed, How you be so very SURE of these surveys... If oyu haven't physically went to a local sportng store, gun store, etc.. And actually asked them, if THEY are getting in all this ammo?
You seem convinced that ALL of it is getting snatched up by hoarders. No outlet that I can find is getting in ANY significant amount.
They cannot get it! Go, ask, find out first person.
Your sacred research report is pointless, if it doesn't reflect physical realty, but only represents the party line point of view.
Most sectors of the country, the shops are NOT getting it in. No one can be hoarding it if it is NOT available.
Tell us what YOU find out locally, not what your researchers tell you to believe.
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide

local sportng store, gun store, etc.. And actually asked them, if THEY are getting in all this ammo?
I've called every gun shop within about 40 miles, and they aren't getting the ammo they usually get. But when they do, people are lined up to buy it, they say. They are hoarding, as several gun shops who know their customers personally have confirmed.
Now, THAT's anecdotal information, too. I haven't seen any studies about it. And the production manager I talked to at Remington said she doesn't know what's blocking any of it at retail. She says they're shipping more to their wholesalers than ever before. She did speculate that the wholesalers are rationing it to their retailers, but she didn't know for sure.
I have talked to Dick's Sporting Goods since then, and all they can tell me is that they get a shipment in on Friday morning and it's gone before noon. They're the biggest gun and ammo dealer in my immediate area and they should know, nationwide, what's happening. But I haven't reached the right people. As a member of the press I've contacted their press-relations people and I'm waiting to see if they'll get back to me with an answer.
If I hear anything on-the-record, I'll let you know.
--
Ed Huntress

A friend of mine recently sold some of his ammo and paid off his house with the proceeds.
Fascinating that one could get $100 a box..or $2 a round for 9mm JHPs from the 90s. That was in the LA area.
Im certainly glad Ive got sufficient quanties of reloading components and a "fair amount" of surplus ammo laid in.
Its rather fascinating to watch the Canadian Gun Registry being attempted here in the US...and knowing full well its going to fail like the Canadian registry did...and knowing that Americans are going to finally say fuck it...and take out those who pushed that attempt.
We do live in interesting times, dont we?
<VBG>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/10/25/f-firearms-numbers.html
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 07:27:52 -0500, F. George McDuffee

The US consumer has not..not swallowed up the 70 yr inventory of the Communist blocks surplus ammo. We may have put a small dent in it..but given that the x39 caliber hasnt been their major cartridge in over 20 yrs....there are literally trillions and trillions of rounds in warehouses and storehouses and so on and so forth. Mountains of the stuff.
Hell...it took 40 yrs to consume all the Nazi surplus after WW2..and most of that stuff was destroyed or buried.

Odd that Walmart still hasnt raised their prices on ammo...but gets so little of it..that one wonders where the hell it is all going. Walmart would sell all it can put out on the shelves..but its putting so little out on the shelves..that one wonders. The manufactures have NOT raised their prices. Fact...so where is it all going?

Most are running 3 shifts a day...and yes..are running at 100% of capacity. So where is the output going?

Yes yes and it ended quickly.
We are well into our second year...so where is all the ammo being produced 24/7..... going?
Gunner
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message wrote:

<snip>

Just to venture a guess, there are probably a lot of people that see that the left wing lunatics are set to destroy this country if not the world. So, in response, people like Adam Lanza's mom buys guns hoping to be able to survive the Obama/liberal holocaust and we all saw the tragedy that took place because of it. It's typical of left wingers to cause a problem and then blame it on someone else, hell, Obama's first term failure was Bush's fault, even though the economy went to hell after the Democrats took over in 2006.
Lanza's mom bought guns because of left wing crazies, Sandy Hook Elementary was a safe place for nutz to kill children because of left wing crazies, NRA's been telling them for decades that criminals will have guns in your "gun free zones" and "Criminals don't obey your laws", but then when what they have been warned about happens, it's the NRA's fault. At least the idiots aught to be descent enough to admit they were wrong and take the blame for what they did, but they are not, they blame others. So what is their solution? More of what caused the problem in the first place, more laws that criminals won't obey. Let's make sure law abiding citizens don't have guns so the next Adam Lanza can be safe killing many more children! Then let's blame the NRA for what the lefttards did. That's the way it works, we have all seen it first hand, and the liberals still lie about it with a straight face.
RogerN
1,600,0000,000 -------------------- = 133 (a little more) 120,000,000
So, why do they need 133 years of ammo in a five year period?
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
solicited bids for 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition over the next five years.
Department's historical average. DHS buys approximately 120 million rounds of ammunition per year
Stormin Mormon wrote:

^     oops!

13.3 years at most.

So why do they need 13.3 yrs worth of ammo in a 5 yr period?

First, because these offices, among others, have been moved from other agencies to DHS over the past few years:
U.S. Secret Service U.S. Customs Service U.S. Coast Guard Transportation Security Administration Strategic National Stockpile Office for Domestic Preparedness Nuclear Incident Response Team National Infrastructure Protection Center National Domestic Preparedness Office National Biological Warfare Defense Analysis Center Immigration and Naturalization Service Federal Protective Service Federal Law Enforcement Training Center Federal Emergency Management Agency Domestic Emergency Support Teams CBRN Countermeasures Programs
Second, because many thousands of local police departments are now training at DHS centers, including firearms training and ranges.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

This, plus the fact that Obummer needs to greatly expand DHS and its related departments since that is one of the few options he has left to try to prop up the failing employment numbers now that the seasonal hiring bubble has burst and quantitative easing is having less and less smoke and mirrors effect with each passing month of it.

I think the libby loos are finally grokking that their reign is coming to an end and will be attempting to use the Homeland Security as their SS to keep the unwashed from getting too uppity.
--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
I think the libby loos are finally grokking that their reign is coming to an end and will be attempting to use the Homeland Security as their SS to keep the unwashed from getting too uppity.

Im also rather curious about the 2700 new rides DHS bought
http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/dhs-gets-2700-tight-new-rides-t10809.html
Interesting that 50 states EACH get 54 new rides for DHS..eh wot?
Gunner

Perhaps they just like the noise.
Well, you said it yourself... you said that you shot, what was it? 300 -some rounds in one afternoon?
Why do you begrudge your homeland security people having an afternoon at the range once in a while :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
What's a few zeros among friends? 1.6 bil is the same as 1,600 mil. Divided by 120 mil does work out to 13 years. Ah, well.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Stormin Mormon wrote:

^ oops!

13.3 years at most.
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:37:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Fix your decimal places and try again, Chris.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:37:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I knew I missed a couple decimal places. ....
Gunner
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:37:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I think that you dropped a decimal place there. It is 13.3 years isn't it?
--
Cheers,

John B.