Astronomer

Margaret Campbell-Brown, an astronomer at Canada's University of Western Ontario, says that the Russian meteor was "56 feet (17 meters) across, weighed more than 700,000 tons and was moving about 18 kilometers per second (40,000 mph) when it blew apart, she said."

What her saying implies is that, if the meteor was a cube 17x17x17 meters, which is the largest object of 17 meters in size, then its density was 142 tons per cubic meter.

For comparison, gold is only 20 tons per cubic meter.

Am I the only person to vies these numbers with suspicions?

Ignoramus15027

It was a reporting mistake, or she misspoke. In another place she was quoted saying it was 7,000 tons:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I didi a search on her name and found another site that said the weight was 7,000 tons instead of 700,000 tons.

So I suspect that CNN got confused by the notation she used , or something like that. My experience with the media is that they are not very accurate.

Dan

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

                           Dan

And checking a third site ..........................

n-century

has it weighing 40 tons.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sadly, I agree with you about reporters.

Ignoramus15027

You got it figured out quite well.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You may be the only one with a cubic meter of gold to weigh :-)

Reply to
John B.

A cubic meter of gold is worth almost exactly one billion dollars!

It would need a powerful 50k forklift to lift.

Ignoramus27334

I just read an estimate that works out to density of around 4, assuming it's a 17m sphere which is ~half (pi/6) the volume of a 17m cube. That suggests it is either a mix of rock and iron, or titanium. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

They used the same computer models that they use for global warming.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Extra zeros mean nothing to them.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Articles about fragments from the meteor say the fragments are about

10% iron.

"Grokhovsky said the particles were composed of metallic iron as well as chrysolite and sulfite. While another report in the Inquisitr quoting the same official said the rock is made up of ?ordinary chondrite.?" See [1] (which plays a video that says 10% iron)

"Viktor Grokhovsky, who led the expedition from Urals Federal University, said Monday that 53 fragments of the meteor have been plucked from the ice-covered Chebarkul Lake. He said they are less than a centimeter (half an inch) in size, about 10 percent iron, and belong to the chondrite type, the most common variation of meteorites found on Earth." See [2]

[1] [2] [3]
Reply to
James Waldby

Only the position of the zeros matter. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Weeeeelllllllll actually it's the position of the decimal point .

Reply to
Snag

In binary? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm pretty sure only the 10 of us understood that ...

Reply to
Snag

I was thinking there might be about 1001 that understand.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ROFLMAO!!

  1. Lie
Gunner

Naw, more likely all FBD5 of us.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd reckon that if one had a billion dollars one could afford to buy a forklift to carry it around :-)

Reply to
John B.