Auto Body metal working

<snip>

I have just been searching in Google but keep getting auto parts stores that don't seem to have the parts I need. In the wreck my wife was swerving to avoid a head on and the truck hit the rear quarter panel, smashing it flat, and tore the bumper off from the side.
I am in Southern Illinois at zip code 62832. The color is white, but I don't mind painting if I can find the right paint for the plastic bumper cover. Do distant scrap yards ship parts? I'm hoping to find something close.
Right now I'm pricing to see if it's worth fixing but I did get it drivable but not legal without the bumper and tail lights. I found people wanting to buy it for $175 for scrap but I can take it to the recycler myself. Just seem a shame to waste a good car over a bumper, rear quarter panel, and tail lights.
I've been bending the smashed quarter panel back into shape with a 4-ton hydraulic porta power type body straightened. I have the metal functionally in place, might need some tweaks to hold the tail light correctly.
Thanks
RogerN
RogerN wrote:

Most yards will ship parts. The catch is usually the cost.
Paint isn't a problem IF you have a small gun. You simply buy the correct color and a small amount of additive that makes the paint flexible. You can also usually buy the paint with additive in spray cans at some places.

Well I found a few around you.
http://www.nanceautosalvage.net/ (Pocahonas) shows a couple. $200
http://www.decaturautoparts.com/ (Decatur) has a couple. $185-210
http://www.carzrus1.com/ (Armington location) shows they have one with paint problems for 60 bucks. Stock# E2962 A2124
They probably have 1/4s as well. Didn't look.

Yeah getting a proper fit can sometimes be interesting. Usually I cheat and just cut away all the really bad stuff and weld in new. Replacing a complete 1/4 isn't all that bad IF you plan ahead and mark/cut gently.

Hope it helps.
--
Steve W.

Thanks, I saw Nance's is about 50 miles away and also lists quarter panel and tail lights for my car. If I can make one trip and get everything I need for the car it would be great. It's not that important to me that the car be cosmetically good as it is mechanically sound an reliable. I dedicate a car for work and it gets the miles and dirt, so this one with a banged up body would make a perfect work car and is in better condition and runs better than my Honda Civic.
RogerN
Currently I'm in Evansville Indiana, the company I work for sent me for Siemens S7 PLC training.
Anyway, on the way back from supper we saw a Harbor Freight store, I had never been in one before. We made it to the store at 7:40PM and they close at 8:00PM so I didn't buy anything yet, but will be going back a time or two before we leave Friday. My experience with cheap tools is that some are fine, some are crap, but I've been satisfied with most. If I use a tool enough that a cheap tool doesn't hold up then I'll get a better quality.
Any recommended Harbor Freight tools to get or avoid for auto body (or other) metal working, sanding, and painting? I thought there might be some favorite HF tool recommendations to get while I'm here.
Thanks!
RogerN
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:27:52 -0500, RogerN wrote:

A year ago I bought a couple of 24" vernier calipers at HF for $7 each; closeout items, so might not be available anymore, but worth looking for. They're not super-duper items for metalworking, but great for carpentry; aluminum rather than steel, and 1/128" resolution on the inch scale, 0.05mm on the metric scale, good feel to the slide and overall good appearance.
Also see if 6" digital calipers are on sale - they usually are priced about $20 at HF, but often go on sale for $15 or so, and sometimes $10.
--
jiw

Roger, based on my experience, do not buy anything at Harbor Freight needing sharp edges or with motors. If you stick to this rule, many other things that they have will most likely work.
The one complete failure item from HF, about 20 years ago was a set of flare wrenches, Pittsburgh brand. Might have improved, since then. Other than that, I've been satisfied with thier quality to price ratio.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses -------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability: -------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."
James Waldby wrote:

I bought one of those too. It looked good, and I was amazed you could buy anything like that for less than $10. I have yet to use it, but it looks good hanging on the pegboard. Might have to buy another for the house ;)
Any recommendations on where to buy paints? In town we have an O'Reily's, Autozone, and Auto Pro, but I'm not sure if any of them sell paint. We used to have a Lincoln Auto Supply that sold DuPont stuff but they closed years back. Or is there a favorite place to order paints online?
RogerN