Bandsaw mitering

I have a cheapo HF band saw, which I like a lot. Now that I am doing more with it, I have found it is hard to miter the way the fence is set up, and the bolts.

Has anyone modified the table to make it easier to cut repetitive cuts, or just taken the head part, and made a new base with rotating clamp?

Either is doable, and I would then have two saws, one for straight cuts, and one for miters. It would be convenient to have one that rolls around, and long pieces of materials could be fed into it, rotating the whole thing. Otherwise, with just the clamp rotating, the extra lengths sticks out and you have to have a lot of room for them.

Ideas? Pics?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm getting this next month... >

syoung

Thanks a lot. I paid $149 for my HF model, IIRC, maybe a little less on sale. That one for $199 looks like it would do the deal and save a LOT of fab time, too. Will research it, and see if I can find one close to Las Vegas, or what the shipping would be.

I like the little HF setup, but it leaves a little to be desired when mitering.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I just put scratch marks on the base for common angles, using a carbide scribe.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

"Richard J Kinch" wrote> I just put scratch marks on the base for common angles, using a carbide

I am going to be making things from scale drawings, so I need something to transpose angles quickly and accurately.

My biggest thing is that I want to keep the storage rack and feed in the same place. My storage rack has rollers right under it so I drop a length of material onto the rollers. I want the saw to stay stationary, with only the head moving. That way, the drop table or drop rollers can always stay in the same position. This makes it a lot easier and takes a lot less space than rolling all that stuff out and moving it around to get a cut lined up.

Actually, it could be done by just putting rollers on the saw base and turning the whole thing, but, as I say, it still gets a little complicated, and a moveable head with an angle indicator on it would be the simplest thing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B