Best way to store/hold/rack TIG wire?

wrote:

Only if I play a torch on it..or cover it in oily rags and spay sparks over it.

Two of my cabinets are made of wood, as are about 25% of my jigs and fixtures. Ive not burned one to the ground as of yet <G>

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate

How about a shopping cart with a grid tack-welded across the basket.

In the welding shop at work, the TIG stock is kept in a rack made up of sections of ~ 1.5" diameter pipe welded to a bottom plate. The setup is a row of about 8 pipes, sitting on the floor. (We only need that many different types/sizes.) It sorta looks like a good way to launch a volley of mortar-type fireworks. The pipe is about 4" shorter than the rod. The info is written on the sides of the pipes. Ours are Al pipe, but I suppose steel would be OK, especially in the steenkin' desert.
Joe

3/4" plywood ends, 2x2 frame, PVC pipes, spade bit, assorted screws......it really is just that easy. label the shit with masking tape and a sharpie
just be sure you put rods back where you got 'em when yer done with 'em...
-- Big Ben BS266 the "aint sure if my irritability is due to age, fatigue or both....." Slug

Heres my cheap way of doing it with what you have got lying around....... Variation on the wine rack concept as mentioned - You mentioned you scored a heap of 4 by 2's a while ago. Layout a grid, of sufficient size to hold each tube. Mark all the intersections. Alternatively notch each one so there a nice, easy fit. Make 2 sets of these, with 4 lengths of timber, nail them together in alignment so they are the (nominal) distance apart. Nail a good strong piece of ply on the bottom. Suggest you make it as a square - easier, and you can bang surplus casters on it if you want to...
Now, I will admit this sounds like a lot of work. BUT......If you got a working vertical mill, hopefully with a bed long enough to take the length of one side, tis simple. Set up one piece, stick a router bit in your mill, and run flat out. Cut each notch halfway, and set the depth stop on the mill.
When this is done, clamp it in alignment on your mill table. Clamp well. Butt the other pieces against the master one, use G-clamps (or anything) to hold them in place - your not looking for micron precision here. Just mill them out, as many as you can fit at the time across the bed. .... Do a drawing/sketch, number each piece so you dont get mind stuffed by all the bits of wood lying around.
So. There. Would give ya a hand if you weren't a continent away.
Andrew VK3BFA.
Andrew VK3BFA.