Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Weak transmission on a Cat T150D 15k forklift
I have two cat t150d forklifts. one is great, another is not so great, it has a weak transmission. with a load on the forks, this forklift cannot go over relatively minor obstacles. What could be a...
3
3

Automatic drain for compressor that drains into a bucket
I have a 10 HP compressor that we use quite a bit, so it accumulates a fair amount of water in the tank. The tank is a horizontal tank with a drain on the bottom. I would like to find some good...
16
16

Looking for a 1970's era Cincinnati (Milacron) Little Scotsman EDM Sinker!
-- I am looking for one or several Cincinnati Little Scotsman EDM machines. Will buy immediately if in decent condition. Will consider ANY Little Scot, but not interested in larger machines or any...

Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)
I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913 lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only make the lightest of cuts. Now, the clutch no longer slips when...
53
53

Gorton 2-28 milling machine
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC. I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill. Not very proud of the price I paid,...
70
70

DoAll DB5 BandSaw Blade Welder
I'm looking for someone who has a DoALL DB5 bandsaw blade welder. I need a couple pictures of the interior. I got a basket case and am trying to rebuild it and a visual would come in real handy. If...
3
3

Why do serious machine shops often replace their Haas CNC machines when they grow?
I have an idea this was not quite fair. No way the hp requirements of that cut exceeded the hp of the machine. My 15 hp fadal could do that cut. Proly a 5 hp machine could. Ahm no 'spert, but vmc's...
3
3

Sturdy portable/rollable shelves?
How about grabbing some rectangular pieces of wood, drilling holes through the four corners of each piece, sticking pipes up through the corner holes, and then attaching wheels to the bottom of the...
13
13

Carbon brushes
HELLO, I am looking for carbon brushes to fit a 9.6v hand drill. I finding this supplier here. Can i use one of that carbon brushes here - 'Carbon Brushes' ()? The hand drill is one of the expensive...
5
5

Do I have wye or delta?
Now that I'm getting some transformers to buck the voltage from my phase converter I need to determine whether the output is wired wye or delta. I think it's delta. but since it's a phase converter I...
16
16

Still looking for parts and manual for Baker/Linde B30-PL forklift
Cant find anything using Google Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im needing the electronics control box and rebuilt kids for the carby Gunner

DIY aluminum keyboard tray - some q's and advice needed
I got myself a 'keyboard arm' ( for my desk and instead of paying $100 for their 'molded ABS tray' ( I thought I'd make an aluminum one. I want it to be 12" deep by 32" wide. The mounting surface on...
21
21

Heavy copper windings from transformers
I bought a "Liebert Datawave server room power conditioner" for $50 from the military. Since no one wanted to buy it above scrap value, we decided to scrap it. We sawed off the windings from numerous...
32
32

Removing broken hitch ball?
Bought a brand-new hitch ball to replace the dented and cruddy old junky looking thing. Whilst tightening it with medium force (using a short 1/2" ratchet without a cheater) I managed to strip the nut...
96
96

Machinists' comb and backscratcher
I just finished making a chip rake (doll's pitchfork?) for cleaning swarf out of the chip pan of my 5914 lathe. I got the idea from a food tool called a "cake breaker" (US Patent 1,858,790) that I...
6
6

Gypsy business scammers
My business was recently visited by suspicious people. There were three guys in a truck, slightly dark skinned. I and my guy were near the open overhead door. They stopped by and asked if I am selling...
20
20

Wacker concrete saw does not start
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?...
12
12

Parts washer questions
What do you use in yours? What do you clean? How do you clean/replace what evaporates or is consumed? Steve, who is looking for a decent cleaning solution without breaking the bank.
15
15

Sieg mini-mill CNC conversion
Conversion uses ubiquitous 5/8" ballscrews and ballnuts. However, there should be enough off the beaten path that the hobbyist/ enthusiast may find interesting. A pictorial summary can be found here;
12
12

Ball chain in headstock of a Clausing 6900 lathe?
My 6913 lathe is missing a ball chain. Its job is to pick up oil from the bottom of the headstock towards the spindle gears and such. My question is what ball chain to get at McMaster-Carr as a...
16
16