Carbon fiber can so break!

Americas Cub 1995 Australia One
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310 /

cavelamb himself wrote:

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????
George
George wrote:

Lot's of people think that. Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed limits. Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.
America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance. Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.
Richard

Yeah. And we tend to overestimate how strong carbon fiber is. On the average, it's only 10% or so stronger than S-fiberglass. Its big advantage over other composites is its stiffness, not its strength.
-- Ed Huntress

Yeah. Check page 51 on this document. http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0404.pdf

Ha! I had to look at that wreck for over a year. After they pulled it out of Jamaica Bay they hauled the wreckage to a lot behind my office in Harrison, NJ and just left it there after the inspection. Eventually it was taken out to somewhere.
-- Ed Huntress
Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts is their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season starts this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as exciting as watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

I thought they *did* require a Kevlar wrap. They did in IRL, when I was writing about it.
-- Ed Huntress
patrick mitchel wrote:

Yep I just read the e-mail from F1 Hooray! something on TV to watch, only problem is the hours which are a little inconvenient. :-) ...lew...
patrick mitchel wrote:

Pat, if last season wasn't exciting enough for you, you may need to seek medical attention. I can't wait for Hamilton to kick Alonzo's butt well and truly this year.

Yeah, BUT with the antics of alonso in the pits keeping hamilton away and the espionage accusations being thrown about, I wanted to throw a brick through the tv. That and the fact I lost my cable connect for the last 3 races of the season....sigh. I suppose I'm showing my age when I mention that I liked f1 when they had the turbos, aspirated, v6-8-10-12 engines all competing. sigh... Pat

Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen. And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)>>>>
-- Ed Huntress

coopers, brm's, eagles,loti yeah , that's my cupof tea. The best looking f1 car- either the clark/ lotus or gurney/eagle Pat

It's hard for me to get excited about the F1 cars after the wings came in. When the turbos took over, I quit caring.
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

Wings are still there, but turbos are out, along with (this year) traction control and engine braking.
4-wheel powerslides are back!
Ed Huntress wrote:

Jimmy Clark, that was a little later. :-) But he was good. ...lew...
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:13:23 -0600, Lew Hartswick

Back in the days when "common folks" could afford to go racing.
Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct email address for reply)
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

We are racing Sunday afternoon.
Well, Sailboat Racing.
The slowest form of transportation ever devised bu man.
But we racin!
cavelamb himself wrote:

Enjoy!
--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

I raced Saturday and Sunday, 1.7 mile road course.