Cleaning solvent for silicone spray lubricant

Background: In making some masters for casting that I'll use in a detailed O-scale (1:48) model, I'm sculpting clay (Sculpey) parts that will supplement some commercial white metal (?Zamac?) castings. To make the clay release from the metal easier, I'm spraying the metal with a silicone spray lubricant before slapping a slab of the clay onto the metal -- and this works nicely. And it apparently doesn't interfere with the firing of the Sculpey afterwards.

BUT ... and here's the metalworking content: I need to clean up the metal parts that I've sprayed for later use. What solvent would be suitable for getting the last residue of silicone off the surface so I can glue something to it later?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Silicones are easily removed with hot, soapy water and a bit of scrubbing. Follow on with a wipedown of Xylene to degrease from fingerprints.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

| > BUT ... and here's the metalworking content: I need to clean up the metal | > parts that I've sprayed for later use. What solvent would be suitable for | > getting the last residue of silicone off the surface so I can glue | > something | > to it later? | | Silicones are easily removed with hot, soapy water and a bit of scrubbing. | Follow on with a wipedown of Xylene to degrease from fingerprints. | | LLoyd |

Thanks --- I think I have all of those in the house ;-)

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Reply to