Confessions of an ex rigger

With all the talk lately about rigging issues, I have decided to come clean.

My name is Steve, and I'm a rigger.

Oh, I don't do it any more, and have been clean now for lots of years. By clean, I mean, I haven't done it for pay. I do practice it within the confines of my own property, and closed garage.

But during the dark years, I must confess that I participated in some dark lifts and moves.

We lifted with rope. We used damaged slings. We used uncertified chains. We poorboy rigged sometimes, using what we had to get the job done. We used any technique and wild idea anyone came up with to get object X from point A to point B.

We were lucky. We didn't have any bad failures or injured personnel. That all happened with certified rigging, proper techniques, and new equipment.

I believe that anyone who really knows how to rig (if they are honest) will admit to at least once doing it all against the book rules, and having it come out alright. Now, you can't do that day in and day out without disastrous results. But, I think we can all admit to using copious amounts of wire, ski rope, porch swing chain, clothesline, horse tack, and various amounts of God knows what to satisfy our addiction to moving things. Then, quickly hiding or destroying the evidence, only to bask in the glory of the accomplishment.

It's a sick sick thing. For me, it was the thrill of the chase, flirting with disaster, showing off, and being able to do things no one else would mess with.

I'm glad it's over. But now, I have to go to all those damn meetings!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well there you go.

The single most important rigging tool I use doesn't come from MSC or any store, it's my brain. Thinking through the results of potential failure modes and making note "escape routes", combined with the instinct to run vs. try to stop something that can't be stopped is what keeps me safe.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

The only time I've ever had a bad problem rigging was when I was using a certified chain...

And I broke when I was under the load... Talk about moving fast...

Reply to
kbeitz

"Pete C." wrote

There you go.

Kind of like how did we grow up to be so old with lead paint, ozone, poor seatbelts, etc, etc, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:30:12 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

--snip--

Hi, Steve. Welcome to R.A. Congratulations for finally making it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For a number of years I worked for Crane Component Company, G H & W, Baldasare Erections, and a few others doing and/or supervising installations, electrical repairs, upgrades, and modifications on overhead cranes; bridge, gantry, jib, whathaveya.

Good job working with nice people, but generally dirty work.

Our philosophy was easily summed up: We stand behind our work, but not under it -- and neither should our customers.

Mechanical devices fail. I never had any desire to be a landing pad for a hook load of anything. Certified chains, slings, etc. are mechanical devices. Certified only means your odds are better that it won't fail -- right away.

It's kind of like the parachute packers: If it fails, bring it back and we'll give you another one.

Reply to
John Husvar

The days of putting the eye of a choker over the cap of an oxygen bottle, and throwing a half hitch on it, with the other end, and then lifting that on a 100 ton 90 foot boom gantry, with 50 foot of jib are gone. Slinging a 214 pound acetylene bottle, on the same lift, with 1/4 choker and a short 2x4. The mine riggers used to use what they called 'strand' which was a flat wire that was used to be woven into a damaged flat mine shaft main lift cable. They just tied the strand in a square knot and never had a failure. It was spooky as hell. Used to ride the 'headache' ball and never heard of tying off. Would have got fired if one had a safety line on. Used to take the GFI out as soon as the inspector left, as none of the tools worked. I will say thank God for hardhats and safety glasses, though. Rode on loads. Never did ride under loads, or allow them to pass over us, and always stayed out of the hospital zone (the bight in a line running through a block), especially when around tuggers.. Had alot of sickness because of grinding on red lead paint, and burning galvanized. As the saying goes, "if I knew I was going to last this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

Reply to
theChas.