Craftsman tools not warranted/guaranteed forever

Singer makes a lot of things that you would not associate with a sewing machine company. For instance guidance systems for ICBM.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Singer pretty much went TU around 1990, and the Singer name and a bunch of their divisions were sold off to a Canadian-based company called Semi-Tech Microelectronics run by a young Chinese-Canadian (and reputed in the investment industry to have a lot of mainland China money behind it). Which is probably partly why today you see the Singer name stuck on all sorts of China-made stuff.

That didn't include the missile stuff- I think that became Bicoastal Corp.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There are so many old American brand names that have licensed out their name.Polaroid,Borden,ITT,Timex are just a few who sold out.Philips sold Sylvania,Philco rights to electronic firms who could not sell well under their own name.Just about all the mainland China sets sold here are made by TCL.The sad part is this licensing usually leads to ersatz quality of goods.

Reply to
ED ROGERS

Back around '75 I worked in a Singer plant that made small machine tools for Sears. I remember circular saws and drills. Even wound the motors there, had the job of running a motor winder and varnisher while in college.

Reply to
Bob Yates

Bob Yates wrote in news:PAtpd.4014$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

You made some _very_ good ones - I'm still using my old "Craftsman Commercial" aluminum-housed saw & 3/8" drill that were made by Singer.

The B&D-made units wear out but the old Singers just keep on working and working and ...

Reply to
RAM^3

That statement is ABSOLUTELY not accurate. At one time, ANY tool with the Craftsman name was guaranteed for "life".

Once the production of "Craftsman" power tools was moved from Singer in SC to some unknown position offshore this tradition ended.

Danaher now makes "Craftsman" hand tools... they probably would be interested in that Sears salesman's interpretation of the Craftsman warranty.

Reply to
Gene Kearns