Cross sections in mechanical drawings

I'm doing some 2-D drafting of machine parts with AutoCAD, and have a question about sectional views. In France, and maybe other countries, one distinguishes between a "coupe" (cut) view and a "section" view.

A "section" is what you would get if you physically cut the part along the cutting plane, inked the cut surface, and pressed it against a piece of paper. In this view, you don't see the object features that are behind the cutting plane.

A "coupe" is like the cross-sectional views I learned to make (in the U.S.), where one does see the object features behind the cutting plane.

Is there an equivalent to the French "section" in U.S. drawing practice? what is it called?

Reply to
Slim Gaillard

If I understand you correctly, it's just a matter of turning hidden lines on or off, at least with my CAD software.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I don't recall ever hearing a specific name for that type of view.

ASME Y14.3, when speaking of section views, says: "Visible Lines. Visible lines behind the cut- ting plane are generally shown. Selected lines may be omitted if greater clarity is gained."

_Engineering Drawing_ by French and Vierck shows an example, doesn't give a name, and says don't do it.

Solidworks has an option "Display only cut faces" for section views. Inventor has a similar checkbox.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Correct, but if I understand the OP question...He wants the American name for the veiw created with the lines turned off.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

That's not how I read the OP. It said, "what you would get if you physically cut the part along the cutting plane, inked the cut surface, and pressed it against a piece of paper. In this view, you don't see the object features that are behind the cutting plane."

IOW, *visible* lines that don't lie in the cutting plane are not displayed.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

=============== This may go a little deeper having to do with first angle [US] v third angle [everybody else] projction.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

In the US a "section view" is as you describe. Whether what you see past the section view is included or not is optional. Typically you would use a fill on the section (e.g. hatch marks). The fill is how you distinguish what is part of the section and what is seen in the background.

If that is what you want, you would just call it a section view and not include any background. Presumably, whatever can be seen in the background is shown somewhere else on the drawing and does not need to be shown in this view.

Hidden lines are a separate issue they are also optional. So you could have a section view with no background showing or a section view with background and hidden lines included. Obviously the latter is going to tend to be more cluttered.

-jim

Reply to
jim

It's called layering, or layers. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North