Ebay funny of the day

You need insurance in case something particular happens to you -- a car accident, a health emergency, death -- whatever.

Likewise, the 2nd. Its purpose is to provide a means of self-defense, or of assembling a state militia -- whatever.

If you "only need it when they try to take it away," and you never need it otherwise, what is its purpose?

You're not thinking about the meaning of that quip.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Perhaps a technical writer who used to like guns.

My circulation is just fine. In fact..its been discussed on the internet more than once. I take pretty good care of myself these days. I dont have a spare heart or too many more spare arteries.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You're dodging the point: the meaning of that quip, which is self-referential, and could be a joke if it was dressed up.

The form would be something like, "I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous."

I still like guns. I just don't care for mindless gun nutz.

Did you ever make something with that Martini?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You stated clearly "thoughtless parrots" so obviously you were talking about Democrats.

Are you that biased and stupid?

Im afraid it looks as if you actually are.

Pity.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

"...and by the way, Mr.Speaker, the Second Amendment is not for killing little ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It's for hunting politicians, like in Grozny, and in the colonies in 1776, or when they take your independence away." Representative Bob Dornan

  1. Lie
Gunner

Don't try that cheap shot with me, Gunner. You aren't fooling anyone.

You repeated that silly quip without even thinking about what it means. If it "isn't needed until they try to take it," then you don't think it's "needed" to protect yourself against an intruder (he doesn't give a damn about no steenking Second Amendment, he just wants to shoot you), right?

In other words, you didn't think. You just jerked your knee.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote in news:ilc7i8tcsjrqisfl36vbq4frkehhllhotc@

4ax.com:

No, it is not. Its purpose is to protect "the security of a free state".

Its purpose is to protect all the *other* amendments.

Speaking of not thinking, Ed... What we *really* need the Second Amendment for is if the federal government attempts to take away the First, or the Fourth, or the Sixth, etc.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So, what kind of insurance would reflect a parallel to the quip? How about, "This insurance policy isn't needed until someone tries to take it away. Otherwise, you won't need it."

Great. An insurance policy that insures you against having your insurance policy taken away. Otherwise, it isn't needed. One wonders what value the insurance policy is, if you won't "need" it before then

-- not if you die first, or have a heart attack first, or have your car stolen first.

What a great and useful insurance policy! Try thinking before engaging your keyboard.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's not what the quip says. It says you won't need it until someone tries to take it away.

So, Gunner, if someone invades your house and threatens to kill you, just roll over. You won't need the 2nd, if you believe that quip.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have it barreled, and have the butt stock. Im still working on the foreend. I was in something of a tither trying to find a small centerfire cartridge that would work, but it was modified to the point that it was most difficult to convert back to centerfire, so I installed a Beyer stainless barrel that I swapped for. Im considering fluting it because it is a bit..heavy. Id considered a carbon fiber barrel..but the $$ was way out of my reach..and then I had that medical issue....shrug.

And I thank you again. When the ship comes in..and/or manufacturing once again blooms in California, Ill finish it up and shoot it in my Saturday morning small bore matches.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

See D.C. v. Heller. That decision says it's also for protecting yourself and your home.

Do you disagree?

is if the

That's not what Larry and Gunner's silly quip says. It says you won't need it.

You're on the wrong page, Doug. This isn't about meanings of the 2nd. It's about the silly quip and its claim that you won't need it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What..you dont like B1 Bob either?

  1. Lie
Gunner

is if the

You seem to be rather fixed minded and narrow sighted. But..shrug..thats been one of your defining traits for a very long time.

I wont need the 2nd Amendment until a poly tick or a criminal decides to harm me or take away my guns. At which point it becomes a very tough defining statement that I may offer up resistance with those same firearms.

Same as I wont need the First, unless someone tries to prevent me from practicing my religion, forcing theirs on me, or preventing my free speech. At that point...I will use the Right granted me by the 2nd.

Much like a fire extinguisher or a seat belt...I dont need either until the moment I do.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

With the 2nd Amendment graven in stone (not simply a pesky "suggestion")....I may have no "need" of it until the moment I do, just like fire extinguishers and seat belts.

Having that 2nd Amendment well known and graven in stone.....helps prevent government from attempting to infringe the rest of the Constitution. It helps..doesnt guarentee prevention. The Great Cull will do just that after all the gun grabbers and mentally ill Leftwingers are killed and bulldozed into mass graves in the very very near future.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I dont need those pesky fire extingushers and seat belts until the moment I need them.

You RINOs and Neos tend to be rather mentally ill, sadly.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Well, it's mostly a historical curiosity, since those Miniature Rifle Clubs were started by Rudyard Kipling. It was their equivalent of junior DCM, or something like that.

I hope you don't expect it to be a fine shooter. It isn't worth a lot of work. Like all full-size Martinis, it has a very slow lock time and it would be more work than it's worth to make a special titanium or hollow firing pin. The trigger on those guns is creepy, and the lockup at the rear end of that long bolt mitigates against shooting tight groups. The smaller, target-shooting rimfire Martinis have a short bolt and they were finely finished to get a fairly tight lockup at the bolt face.

But it was a clever action, and one of historical importance.

It's been a while but I didn't think it was converted to rimfire. The later ones were, (I think) using an offset barrel bushing. But most of them were chambered for a small, pistol-sized centerfire made especially for the job. The mid-sized Australian Martini Cadet was made for still another cartridge, somewhat larger but still sub-caliber for a military rifle.

Anyway, it's a collector's item that's good for conversation.

It will be a challenge, especially offhand. But you'll have the coolest gun, anyway.

Remember Bob Richardson? (or was he on CompuServe?) I found a Martini Model 12 for him, a high-end rimfire target gun. He used it in small bore matches in California and he did great with it.

The guys at Navy Arms used to let me climb through their bins of imported British Martinis. That's how I found your MRC action. It was the only one out of hundreds. Hang on to it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oh, yeah, the congressman who declared 1994 the "Year of the Penis."

The precursor to the Tea Party. Is he still alive?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

for is if the

Actually, I'm just reading the words and considering what they mean -- which you guys apparently have not done.

That's not what the quip says. It says you "won't need it." That's what gave it away as something too dumb to be from Jefferson.

Sure. But that's another story altogether, one that the quip says you won't need.

Again, that's a different issue.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

True enough. But that's not what the quip says.

It's an important symbol that distinguishes the basis of power in our government from all others. Well, except for Yemen and East Timor, maybe. d8-)

I thought that was the plan for last year? Did their GPS receivers run out of charge?

Reply to
Ed Huntress