Ebooks of interest

You weren't with him?

Most military manuals are free for download from .mil and .gov websites. You can order paper in the mail for not much.
Where is the theft?

I recall Curls flipping out because someone was selling old copies of an 80's survival magazine...

That is copyrighted material, created at private cost, for the purpose of making money. The government manuals are created at public expense and belong to the public. There is a difference.
My interest in the Amazon Kindle went up greatly when I read it will hold up to 3500 ebooks. Now I'm not sure yet how many it'll hold in PDF format, but dang, to have a few hundred technical reference books available in a heartbeat...
Saw one at Staples the other day, and it was so thin, I thought at first it was a cardboard facsimile until I noticed the power cord. Really a slick looking unit. I've put it at the top of my wish list for Christmas...
Jon

There is a catch, however, and that is that the interface when reading PDF files is clumsy and slow. One page per screen (small screen) is way too small, so you have to enlarge it into four windows which don't scroll. It -works- (after a fashion) and is infinitely better than not-having-the-manual-at-all, but it is a frustrating interface if you're used to using a PC or an iPad.

As light as cardboard, too...
...and hats off, too, to Amazon's very sensisble approach to repairs under warranty. I dropped mine and broke the screen. My fault entirely. They replaced it, free of charge, *almost* no-questions-asked, within a week (to *Australia*!) I'm now using the new one, and am just about to post the broken one back to them. (Note the order of operations.)
Obviously the sale of ebooks is more important to them than the hardware - and good thing too.
Another thing - the Kindle screen is drop-dead gorgeous. It really looks like printed paper. I have the small Kindle (for portability) and will definitely be getting a big one (for reading convenience). I love my iPad, too, but the Kindle wins hands-down for reading clarity and portability (not to mention $$$).
Oh - the user interface (including "go-to") is utter crap, but I spend most of the time reading and turning pages, not flicking and re-sizing and browsing.
-- Jeff R.

On 10/22/2010 3:48 PM, Jeff R. wrote:

Ah, good to get some feedback like this. Maybe I'll opt for the bigger one. And good to know they'll deal with folks down under, as I'm headed there in the not too distant future...
So, how hard is it to -find- the book you want? Is it straight alphabetical, or can you organize books into folders by topic?
Yeah, that screen really is lovely, part of why I thought I was looking at a fake for a few seconds.
Jon

Smaller one fits in big pockets. Big one wouldn't.

Sensible choice. (Both of them)

You can create "folders" and move your books into them. Sadly you cannot (AFAIK) create a hierarchy of folders-within-folders, which is a shame for me. I like over-organising my directories.
Still, simple folders is better than 'nowt.
There is a very comprehensive search function, which will search: your stuff, kindle store, google, dictionary, wiki, or just take you to the web. Did I mention it goes on the web?
I almost never use the search function, though. Prefer to keep my stuff in logical folders.
You can sort your stuff by: title, author, collection (folder) or most recently accessed.

When I got my first one, I tried to peel off the printed instruction sheet from the screen. There wasn't one. :-|
-- Jeff R.

Not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be that the DX (big Kindle) was the only one that could directly accept PDF files from a PC. The small one required you to do something like email the file to Amazon where they "converted" it to your Kindle.

On 10/23/2010 9:31 AM, Mike Henry wrote:

Oooh, THAT is not something I like. Take forever to email everything I wanted to load up. Ok, I'll just sit back on the sidelines and watch them evolve a bit more.
Jon
Jon Anderson writes:

No, no, no. The $139 Kindle 3 works natively with PDFs. You just connect it to your PC via USB, copy the PDF file into it like a USB drive, and its on there.

Nope. Kindle 3 takes pdf files straight from the PC. No email-conversion required. ...albeit with the user-interface deficiencies I noted earlier.
-- Jeff R.

If only I could verify my ownership of many of my books and have them on a kindle after recycling them. That would be sweet. The one down side of drm is what happens to your library after you die?
On 10/22/2010 3:50 PM, Wes wrote:

Hmm, that brings up another question... I grabbed a number of the military books on machining, electronics, and machine repair. I just -assumed- that I could load up any book I wanted in PDF format.
I've ripped some CD's to MP3 and loaded them onto my Ipod with no DRM verification, didn't see why the Kindle would be any different. Looks like I'm wrong?
And you bring up a really good point about digital libraries. Printed books can be handed down through several generations or more if cared for.
Jon

You can do that with ease on a Kindle. Of the 300-odd titles I have on my Kindle, only one is DRMed, and that was one that I downloaded as an experiment. All the rest is text, html, pdf or some other doc that has been converted to Kindle's .mobi format.

Only for current copyrighted books you buy through them.

Aye! Now *that* is a huge worry - not just for books, but for photos as well.
-- Jeff R.

Thanks for the feedback on all points, much appreciated. I think I'll try to find someone local with one that will load a PDF of my choice and let me see how it looks. I'll pick a tech manual with pictures and/or diagrams. If I can live with the smaller one, I'll get that, much more convenient when flying down under (I have no trouble reading a paperback and a couple magazines during the 14 hour flight...)
Jon
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:45:27 -0800, Jon Anderson

So can Ebook formats, if you save them on DVDs/CDs and so forth..or preferably..a USB hard drive that you refresh every 4-5 yrs
And give your DRM code in your last will and testiment...<G>
Gunner

    As long as the materials hold up, and the format is still supported. The advantage to the printed page is that the "technology" is proved, and the formats are still supported. (One could argue about the problem of books recorded in a format/language no longer readable - Linear B, Mayan, etc - but that doesn't meant he documents are no longer completely inaccessible.)

    Go for it!
--
pyotr filipivich

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    That can preserve the data -- but how long will there be compatible eBook readers to use those formats? There is a lot of computer media which can't be read which is less than 50 years old.
    How many of you have the ability to read punched tape formats? (Let's see -- the common ones are 5-level Baudot, and 8-level ASCII punched tape (from Teletypes and the like), but there are also other bit codes which used the 8-level punched tape, such as the Freiden Flexowriter (Sort of an 8-bit version of EBCDIC, but with shift-up and shift-down codes needed)
    And how many people have the equipment to play 78 RPM records these days? (Let alone Edison cylinder recordings?)
    And if you do -- how long will the sylus last on your turntable?
    How many have reel-to-reel magnetic tape recorders?
    How about wire recorders?
    Amy movies in Beta format?
    How about the large video disk format?
    There are amazing collections of media which are no longer readable in a practical sense.
    For that matter -- how long will CD and DVD recorders be available?
    How many still have 5-1/4" floppy drives on their computers? (3-1/2" ones are fading away too, and what about 8" ones? I still have those, but I would have to work to restart the machines which use the 8" floppys.
    However -- print still works, as long as you have light (and know how to read, of course). :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I have at least a dozen turntables that will play 78s.

They are still being made.

A couple. And a broadcast cart machine.

Lost it in a rental warehouse when I got sick.

180 KB, 360KB, 720 KB and 1.2MB 5.25".

720 KB, 808 KB and 1.44 MB 3.5".

I still have some half height double sided 8" floppy drives that don't need AC power, and some floppies.

And the ink hasn't faded. :(
enough left over to pay them.