Ebooks of interest

Well ... sort of. It is using the heat to melt the toner which has been electrostatically attracted to where the print should be.

It is not the same as the thermo-sensitive papers, such as were used in the "Thermo-fax" copiers once made by 3M, and in some low-budget or low energy computer/calculator printing systems -- such as the ribbon printout on the Cannon 4-banger which was my first electronic calculator. Yes, those would darken fully in a hot car -- or fade from exposure to UV light. Vastly different from a laser printer (which is a Xerox machine which is copying an image imagined by a computer, rather than a real object.)

So -- this kind of publication is unlikely to fade with time -- though if stored in contact with plastic, it will partially transfer to the plastic, as you may have seen in some three-ring binders. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My first experince with thermal printing was in Jr. High school in the mid '60s. I used heat sensitive foils to apply the Dewy decimal numbers to lots of library books, with a wood burning tool and the foils.

Or in some cases, it is a combo copier/laser printer. I still have one of those thremal copiers, and a couple microfiche viewers. One of them is a printer as well.

What? You never learned to put a blank page in the front and back of a binder full of lser printed pages? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Damn! That was you doing that? Small world, it is :)

Reply to
RBnDFW

I had to. Our new librarian was too busy flirting with the younger male teachers to actually do any work, and we had hundreds of new books waiting to be added to our system. I also repaired torn bindings and relabeled worn lettering on the covers. It was better than home room or study hall. And I was the only boy working with all the pretty girls who volunteered to work in the library. :-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Those would be the girls with glasses :)

I'm in the parts business, and sometimes am called upon for inventory work. When i'd find a stock in some sort of undefined order, I'd make a comment like "What are you people using here, the Dewey decimal system??" Nobody under 40 gets it anymore.

Rex, who spent much of his adolescence haunting the school library.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Only one wore glasses. :)

I ask 'What drunken fool created this mess?'

They give the library staff stupid looks when they get an answer like, that's in the (Number) group. ;-)

The old Marion County libraries only had the Dewey numbers. The new main library has all kinds of signs sticking out into the isle for each subgroup. I haven't visited their other new library yet.

That was another advantage of working the library during home room. Most books were returned before school started and you had first chioce of popular books. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course I did. But I did not load all binders that I've handled. What is nasty is when somebody puts a classified document in such a binder -- of course, it is supposed to have a cover sheet anyway. But if it doesn't the binder becomes classified too. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've tossed out a lot of binders that idiots did that to. :(

Some dark colors can be wiped down with solvents to remove the toner, if it hasn't stained the plastic.

A guy on another newsgroup talked about when was a copier tech. He told about one service call where the fuser was failing, and all of the letters were falling of the pages as they came out of the machine. Too bad you can't do that to junk mail. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is copyrighted material, created at private cost, for the purpose of making money. The government manuals are created at public expense and belong to the public. There is a difference.

Reply to
Winston_Smith