Excellent post from Wild Bill

In a post today, Wild Bill sez:

"From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are officially referred to as non-standard Chinese (at least by this source in the UK).

Any time someone posts a collet chart or comparison guide (or machine spindle tapers), I try to remember to save a shortcut to it/them and put them in a metalworking collet info folder. I had more of them on my last machine, but here are the ones I have presently" Then he listed several relevant URLs.

Visit the UK site to glean a ton of valuable information on collets and just about any other category in the mechanical arts.

One thing I found particularly noteworthy was an essay from the esteemed English Engineer John Stevenson, "Reasons to convert a mill to CNC". It can be found at:

Although I am not presently a candidate for "conversion to CNC", I found John's article to be an insightful and provocative intro into why someone might want to go CNC.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

English Engineer John

That is formally:

Sir John, Earl of Bridgeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Reply to
Wes

English Engineer John

I think that Nottingham may have disowned Long Eaton, they were lowering the tone of the rest of the county

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'm afraid that is too much inside baseball for this colonial to parse.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

John actually lives/works in the small town of Long Eaton about 8 miles from Nottingham city centre :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks, Bob. Another metalworker's adventures that I used to enjoy seeing was a guy named Orrin (last name started with E or I, maybe). Someone here probably knows who he is.

I used to encounter many more websites of individual's projects and procedures several years ago, but not so many anymore.

Reply to
Wild_Bill