Extreme precision in figuring out experience

I just received a resume.
``As a candidate for the position I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and about 2.54 years experience doing technical writing and
3.79 years experience doing some engineering and CAD.''
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:31:10 -0500, Ignoramus8303

He works to three significant figures. He's an engineering traditionalist. Hire him. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

He might still be using a sliderule.... Also, .01 years = 3.65 days. Ig might have to make a new calendar to keep track of this new hiree's time.... Heh, a decimal year.
--
EA

I am much less precise, approximately 25 years of C and approximately 18 years of perl.
But yes, I kind of liked that precision too, I will see him tomorrow.
"Ignoramus8303"
message wrote:

Mech Eng? Then ask him if he believes in centrifugal force. If he does, he flunked out .....
On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:35:51 PM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:

After the question about centrifugal force, ask if is willing to support the d'arsonval movement.
"Cross-Slide"

is willing to support the d'arsonval movement.
And if he says 'hell yes, I'll sign that petition!' , when do they meet?
Right after they get all the DHMO out of the county water supply. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

is willing to support the d'arsonval movement.
And if he says 'hell yes, I'll sign that petition!' , when do they meet?
Ask the refrigeration guy if he believes in cold. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Mech Eng? Then ask him if he believes in centrifugal force. If he does, he flunked out .....
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:47:23 -0400, the renowned Ed Huntress

Maybe he just rounded it to the nearest week.
2 yrs + 28 weeks for the writing ~= 2.54 years 3 yrs + 41 weeks for the Eng/CAD ~= 3.79 years
I'd interview him if the rest of it looks good.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:31:10 -0500, Ignoramus8303

What kind of ME is that, using only _2_ decimal places when he coulda used 3 or 4? Sheesh!
--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
----- Regards, Carl Ijames "Larry Jaques" wrote in message wrote: >I just received a resume.

What kind of ME is that, using only _2_ decimal places when he coulda used 3 or 4? Sheesh!
--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.

I thought at first that he wrote a script to substract a "experience starting date" from today's date and to send emails automatically, this is what I would suepect myself of doing if that was written by someone like me. But he said no, he wrote the email personally.

It is probably no coincidence those are the numbers of cm per inch and liters per gallon.
If he thinks this is a very clever thing to put on a resume, I personlly would probably find him annoying to work with.
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 21:07:09 -0700, "anorton"

Frankly..Id not hire the guy based on the resume alone. Face to face...might be a different story.
Shrug
Gunner
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

    Two years six months and two weeks tech writing     Three years, nine months and two weeks doing engineering & CAD.
    Could just be something to make a resume stand out.

    Or forty eleven. Two decimal places is plenty

    "Okay, your resume got my attention. Lets see if you have 2.54 years experience, or six months' experience 5.08 times."
tschus pyotr -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 01:48:35 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Ayup.

You failed to figure in my facetiousity factor there, sir.

Well, the ME degree sure beats a Bastard in Liberal Arts, wot?
--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 06:30:34 -0700, Larry Jaques

It's not the number of places beyond the decimal point that counts. It's the number of significant figures. You probably didn't have to use a slide rule in college. I was studying math and engineering just before pocket calculators came out. And when they did, I changed my major. d8-)

As long as he doesn't have to speak or write, that's probably true for anyone Iggy would need to have on board..
--
Ed Huntress

06:30:34 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Well put a flag note on it next time!

    If you are looking for an ME, definitely. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

I agree.