Extreme precision in figuring out experience

I just received a resume.

``As a candidate for the position I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and about 2.54 years experience doing technical writing and

3.79 years experience doing some engineering and CAD.''
Reply to
Ignoramus8303

He works to three significant figures. He's an engineering traditionalist. Hire him.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He might still be using a sliderule.... Also, .01 years = 3.65 days. Ig might have to make a new calendar to keep track of this new hiree's time.... Heh, a decimal year.

Reply to
Existential Angst

What kind of ME is that, using only _2_ decimal places when he coulda used 3 or 4? Sheesh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's slide rule math - read two places off of the scales and estimate the third digit. Definitely hire him, he might not know how to text and will actually work while on the job :-).

What kind of ME is that, using only _2_ decimal places when he coulda used 3 or 4? Sheesh!

Reply to
Carl Ijames

I am much less precise, approximately 25 years of C and approximately

18 years of perl.

But yes, I kind of liked that precision too, I will see him tomorrow.

Ignoramus8303

Maybe he just rounded it to the nearest week.

2 yrs + 28 weeks for the writing ~= 2.54 years 3 yrs + 41 weeks for the Eng/CAD ~= 3.79 years

I'd interview him if the rest of it looks good.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I thought at first that he wrote a script to substract a "experience starting date" from today's date and to send emails automatically, this is what I would suepect myself of doing if that was written by someone like me. But he said no, he wrote the email personally.

Ignoramus8303

Good grief - don't have a grip?

What was he doing - ME on road timbers ? boat pilings ?

And then knowing the product and the best to know the design, specs, and such is tasked to make the manuals or datasheets.

If one had a small company that is the facts. A lot of that is ISO requirements.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Whatever else that you find out, he was able to write a resume that stood out from all the rest. Congrats to him for that.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

It is probably no coincidence those are the numbers of cm per inch and liters per gallon.

If he thinks this is a very clever thing to put on a resume, I personlly would probably find him annoying to work with.

Reply to
anorton

Frankly..Id not hire the guy based on the resume alone. Face to face...might be a different story.

Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Two years six months and two weeks tech writing Three years, nine months and two weeks doing engineering & CAD.

Could just be something to make a resume stand out.

Or forty eleven. Two decimal places is plenty

"Okay, your resume got my attention. Lets see if you have 2.54 years experience, or six months' experience 5.08 times."

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

I agree.

Reply to
Ignoramus8303

Ayup.

You failed to figure in my facetiousity factor there, sir.

Well, the ME degree sure beats a Bastard in Liberal Arts, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's not the number of places beyond the decimal point that counts. It's the number of significant figures. You probably didn't have to use a slide rule in college. I was studying math and engineering just before pocket calculators came out. And when they did, I changed my major. d8-)

As long as he doesn't have to speak or write, that's probably true for anyone Iggy would need to have on board..

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I agree with you. He stopped by today and I thought that he was outright crazed. He could not stop dancing while interviewing.

Ignoramus8772

Dancing during an interview is a very bad sign. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Can he sing?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Ignoramus8303" wrote in message news:8qOdnfZb9q_pFE7MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Mech Eng? Then ask him if he believes in centrifugal force. If he does, he flunked out .....

Reply to
Phil Kangas