FA - a rather sexist pair of calipers

a snap-on promotional item which I think is kinda cool - I never saw one like this - are they still handing them out? or does this date back to the good ol' days?

here's the link

william_b_noble

"william_b_noble" wrote: (clip) or does this date back to the good ol' days? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have a pair like that. They are collectible.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

In a 1891 catalogue, 3" of this style, list for 40 cents..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Looks like it is from a time when plump was sexy. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Actually the dividers of 1891 were rather more shapely than those offered on eBay. I've just discovered from a 1899 cat that they were also available in the form of a pair of arms..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Plump is still sexy. Some folks have just been brainwashed to believe otherwise.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Blueggg! Rubin is a sandwich, not a standard of excellence for women.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Why is this considered "sexist"?

Jeez people, get a grip!

Reply to
DeepDiver

Well they have them aligned wrong, they were to be used to measure heal to heal. Not toe to toe.

Reply to
Greg Krynen

Bill

That's a pair of "Dancing Master" calipers, often made by hand as part of apprentice programs in the 19th century. The outline was open to the apprentice's imagination (16 year old boys!). I've seen a set with dance pumps and ribbons laced up the legs engraved in and a set with bloomers and bare feet (with toe nails even). Sometimes they constructed a full ballerina, with both arms and legs to form a double ended caliper. Other designs show up, I've seen pictures of alligator jaw calipers, snake head on one arm, tail on the other calipers, double ended calipers made from crossed bone shapes, even false teeth. Those old timers had a lot of creativity and I suspect it was a way of one upping your buddies.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill