FA edelstaal tool holder

1/4" shank and says Edelstaal on it.

Thanks for looking.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

O.K. That is a toolpost for a Unimat SL-1000 (Or the DB-200).

The tool itself is one of a set of insert tooling, with inserts available both in HSS and carbide. (A dab of red paint for HHS, or blue paint for carbide.) The insert shown appears to have the red paint, so it should be HSS. (Finding a way to grind the carbide with a Unimat was a serious pain. :-)

I don't know if *anyone* makes the inserts any more, so the more of those that you can include with the holder the more likely that someone who needs it will buy it for the inserts.

Looking at your "other items" link, I see nothing related to this, but I would suggest that you look for any inserts which should have come with the set that this was part of.

The set included a right-hand turning tool, a left-hand one (which is what is shown here), two boring bars, one 6mm and one perhaps

8mm in diameter (all of which used the same inserts), and a parting tool, which used a different insert. It also included a lantern style toolpost for the Unimat, which would be used in place of the standard toolpost shown here. The lantern style had a threaded base and a ring to adjust the height of the tool bit.

And -- it should not be used with that much extension from the toolpost, or you will get chatter, except perhaps with plastics.

American Edestall (or was that spelled "Edestaal" as you have it) was the importer of the Unimat in those days. These were apparently made by them for the Unimat, and were the smallest insert tooling of the time.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You know I had one of those lathes 32 years ago, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Thanks for telling me.

It does have the red paint.

I just have what is in the auction.

I knew it was left hand, I fugered people would know that just by looking at it. (Well some one who uses this kind of tooling any way.)

I had to have it extended that far because the insert hit the tool block. You can faintly see the writing on the tool in the scan. It's was only finger tight for the picture. I know it should have been shorter as in the other picture.

Spelled like I have it on the tool. (Edelstaal) Seemed like a funny way to spell it to me to. Thanks again.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.