FA: Large air cylinder 8x10"

That would make a pretty impressive air hammer. However I'm not sure that my compressor would keep up with it, and I've got a 15hp Quincy!

Reply to
Todd Rich

That depends on the number of impacts per second, right? So you could make it strike less often?

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

Yep, but a 2" x 10 stroke air cylinder takes about 20-25 CFM at 100psi to run at a reasonable speed (120-180 bmp) using the Kinyon plans. Slow it down too much and you are losing your heat before you get a lot of work done. It might make a really decent press though. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

My Gardner-Denver would give about four strokes per minute. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Actually, that was my original plan, although not with an air compressor. Another type of air hammer has one cylinder driven by a motor. The air from the first cylinder (two way) is sent to another cylinder, which has the hammer ram mounted on it. The ram always moves at the same rate as set by the motor. By adjusting how far the valving between cylinders is open, you control how long the stroke is. A very nice way to do an air hammer (referred to as 'self-contained', i.e. no external compressor).

After about ten years of lugging that cylinder around, reality set in. I bought a commercial self contained air hammer, which works very nicely.

Brought to you by the same project, I also have a 10HP 3 phase motor I'd like to find a home for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Yep, like the Nazel air hammer. I know there are plans out there for this style of hammer, but i haven't read them. I did see this style of homebuilt hammer demonstrated at the ABANA 2K conference.

Yeah, I've had most of my stuff sitting around since last fall, so I'm trying to get mine done by the end of this month. I'm doing pretty good so far. However, I'm hoping about 5 years down the road to be able to afford a nice self contained hammer myself. Either a used Nazel 2B or 3B, or maybe a Striker brand clone. Todd

Btw, I remember you from back when you were in Colorado. I think I bought a motor starter from you about the time you moved. I was in Idaho then.

Reply to
Todd Rich

turn it into a rotory phase converter. 10hp is a good size.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Where I used to work we had a die cut press with two 12" dia air cylinders. That made about 12 tons. Someone realized that air was holding the press up along with the upper die. I ended up using a 4" hydraulic cylinder, some check valves, a reserve tank, counter balance valve and pressure switch to make this thing safe. Basically an hydraulic brake with the pressure switch making sure the hydraulics were actually counterbalancing the load. The force the air cylinders produced greatly overmatched the holding force of the hydraulic brake so I didn't have to use a direction valve in the circuit.

We had a number of die cut presses that had one cylinder holding the upper part of press where a failure of a cylinder rod would hurt someone. Single point of failure. What were the designers thinking outside of no pit needed for the press using up acting cylinders.

My first solution using a toothed rack, wedge driven by a cylinder and a switch to trip the mess still embarases me.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

>> That would make a pretty impressive air hammer. However I'm not sure that

Sorry, your name doesn't ring a bell. I'll bet your face would, that's how it usually works for me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

>> That would make a pretty impressive air hammer. However I'm not sure that

If I didn't have this large Danfoss VFD hanging on the wall, that would be a fine idea.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith