Found an American made item

Except for some minor parts, springs and pins and stuff, the current M4 has changed quite a bit from the first AR-15. That doesn't necessarily mean improved...

Which reminds me of something that I've been pondering.

What is this all powerful gun lobby that gun controllers seem to fear so much? Where's the power?

What tiny percentage of the nations output does the firearms industry represent? I'm not talking about F-22s and aircraft carriers, but Kel-Tec, Ruger, S&W and other companies catering to the citizen shooter. I've seen a couple of these companies and they don't seem to take much space or employ a lot of people. Most of them together would probably fit in the local (Wauwatosa) unused Briggs & Stratton building. I don't know what square footage it had, but when I worked there, shop floor management moved around in bikes and golf carts if they had to go any distance.

So how do these compare to Big Oil and Big Pharm and other big US industries?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I wish. Well, at least it pays my shoe bills. I buy two pairs of workboots every couple years, too.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

NRA/ILA's political power has three prongs: Money from manufacturers, money from members, and direct influence over members' voting. Taken together, they are very powerful.

I'm leaving for a few days or I'd look it up for you. If you want to see for yourself, you'll find all of the manufacturing data you could want on the Commerce Dept.'s website. It's not easy to dig through it; sometimes it's on the BEA subsidiary site.

If you want me to dig up the numbers, ask again around the middle of next week and I'll get it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I got into trouble at one worksite where the foreman was complaining about some shoddy work and claimed my crew did it.

I replied: "Can't be us, our shoddy work is a good as our good work."

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Well, after you paid you got a new balance, didn't you? ; )

Reply to
Bill

You're a shoe-in with the puns, aren't ya, li'l fella?

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Tread lightly and don't wag your tongue so much Larry. Corny puns are the archenemy of civilization. We will nail you with enough to make you cry 'ankle'! So toe the line or you will discover we have no sole.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
rangerssuck

I saw an episode of "How it's Made" or one of the other look-alike shows that covered a Mexican factory that made jeans for at least a half-dozen american "manufacturers". Pretty much doesn't matter what brand of jeans you buy - they all seem to come from the same factory in Mexico.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That is *way* better than my experience at my local Beck's. They acted like they *really* did not want any of my money. Ironic because you could throw a bowling ball down any aisle and not hit another customer. Weird.

I found

and never darkened their door again. Everybody's happy!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

That is only one of ~4000 such plants located in Mexico.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yeah, amazing, isn't it? You'd think that the salescritters would scamper toward you when you came in because of the boredom. Failing that, you'd think they'd scamper toward you because if they don't make any sales, the company will close its doors and they'll be out on their lazy, incompetent arses quite soon.

Maybe in San Jose, but not in GP. I just looked. The $114 NB 574 is almost identical in material and construction to the Reebok Men's Classic Nylon but the prices are a bit different. NB is OVER FOUR TIMES the price. I'm willing to spot an extra few bucks for a US brand, but that's ridiculous. January 2011 at Amazon:

Reebok Men's Classic Nylon Running Shoe, Black/White, 12M Sold by: ShopWSS Condition: new Quantity: 2 $26.24 each Item subtotal: $52.48

I found and tried on some 574s at Big 5 once and liked them, but the price was too steep.

-- The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I've been wearing NB 855's for years now. (Warning: Next week I'm going to take them off.)

I like them because they don't aggravate my right ankle the way that some shoes do.

That is worth bucks to me for sure.

I've thrown away lots of shoes that weren't as kind to my old 'cycle injury.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Yes, comfort and lack of blisters really count.

My arches like the Reeboks. I can stand in them on concrete all day if necessary. Effective, utilitarian, and cheap? That's a real nice kind of satisfaction.

-- The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Seems list price is $24.95 found it on some web sites for either

17.99 or 12.99 but both were out of stock. It is an OLD model phone. Found it on ebay for $8.00 with free shipping.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Hand sown nylon. Watched them being made on the PCN channel. ( Pennslyvania Cable Network) they showcase manufacturing in PA with factory tours every week.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

It seems you're back and I'm still curious! :^)

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I was hoping you were away on vacation. d8-)

Ok, let me get you some good data sources here, without burying you in detail...

The drill-down tables published by Commerce look like the best deal now. You want NAICS Code 332994, for small arms manufacturing, and 332992, for small-arms ammo.

Here's the full table:

Here's an easier-to-read output summary:

They show somewhat different results; I didn't check to see what measurements were different. The full table says small arms, $3.3 billion. Ammo, $3.2 billion. Taken together, they're roughly equivalent to the US production of mayonnaise and sauces (NAICS 311941) .

If you want to see how this compares with US totals in manufacturing, and general manufacturing trends, see this Excel table:

Happy number-crunching.

Reply to
Ed Huntress