Frelon/pillow blocks

Can someone give me a little basic info on how good these things work? I am considering trying them on hardened linear shafts for a grinding machine.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I've used 'em. They worked well for my application but need to be kept dirt free. They did absorb vibration better than the ball bushings I tried first. But it was a low speed application. I know there is info on the web which tells you how to calculate the load and whether the bushing will work at the speed and load of your application. One style of bushing is open at the bottom to allow clearance for shaft supports. These can be squeezed by the mount to reduce the clearance between the bushing and the shaft. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

They worked well for my application but need to be kept dirt free

Pretty much sums it up, not suitable in a grinding enviornment. Back to ball bushings.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I tend to disagree with your assumption here. If you can keep ball bushings working then the Frelon type bearings will also work. In the equipment sets I work on I prefer the Frelon bearings for most cases. Ball bushings when they fail in most cases take out the rod with them. On either bearing you have to have some kind of a wiper on the rod if your working within a dirty environment. In my experience a bit of dirt in the ball bushing allows the ball to skid and not roll and soon both the bushing and rod are gone. I've not experienced this with the Frelon bearings. Where I make a distinction is choosing the rolling vs. sliding is with speed and tactile feel. Frelon bearing s take a bit more energy to move and if you have a hand driven table then the rolling elements feel better. I have nothing to gain either way you go but don't be so quick to rule out the Frelon bearings. They are a direct drop in replacement for t he Thompson bearings. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

TLKALLAM8

invalid item

Reply to
Beecrofter

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Simple problem. The crucial big of information (the item number) was broken across a line break. You could cut and paste the whole URL in, or do what I did, which was to take the two parts of the item number and glue them together, to get 3812886317 and look that up. Since I have a script which creates the rest of the URL when I type "ebay item-number", that is what I did, and I see the auction in question.

*Please* people -- post the item number separately. After that, if you so desire, you can post the whole URL for people who need the whole thing, but beware that it is very likely to get split at the end of the line.

And the *whole* URL isn't really necessary. The following works well for me:

Note that the "&category=58254" part isn't really necessary, nor is the "&rd=1" at the end. So -- you can post a shorter URL which works fine and is less likely to get broken. The other parts look like artifacts left from running a search.

Also -- lines containing '?' and '&' are a pain to deal with in unix command lines, though there are ways.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols