Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One

Short (only 45 seconds) video:

No real metal working content. I did some metal working on this one for the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right now. Not a lot of metalworking required on a fiberglass boat.

I did do some metal working in the past for the previous owner. That pedestal stub you see sticking up in the middle, is in a base bolted through the sole with wide aluminum reinforcing plates below to spread the load. I also made a precision aluminum clamp to bolt it to the side of the console. It was a rudimentary "old man bar" so the previous owner could grab it to help get out of his seat. I also did some trailer repairs (fenders, winch repair, winch tower repair, etc) in the past for him. There are even a couple pieces of aluminum tread plate fitted in high traffic locations to eliminate carpet wear.

I hate carpet. Its wonderful the first few years, but then it just... well, I hate carpet in a boat. The carpet in this boat is old and rotten. I've been thinking of replacing it with an EVA foam product called SeaDek. The problem is that old marine carpet glue. The last time I stripped carpet out of a boat I couldn't find any solvent for the carpet glue that didn't also eat the gel coat. I wound up sanding and grinding. Its a miserable job.

So, what do you think might be a good chemical glue remover?

The gelcoat is a polyester resin.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Tried naphtha with about 20-25% lacquer thinner ? If it's a latex based floor covering adhesive that should at least soften it up so you can scrape it off.

Reply to
Snag

Thanks. Never even thought of Naptha.

Reply to