Heating the garage shop

I've been doing my research and have provisionally settled on this item.

30K btu input $769 81% out

Along with this to vent it.

" RF Garage/Shop Vent Kit $169

I don't want to pierce the roof since I live in snow country.

Has anyone dealt with this company or used a Sterling Furnace?

All constructive comments welcome. Damn, I'm paying 2 bucks a gallon for propane. What is the price in your area?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes

Just got propane and oil last week. $3.30 for gas & $3.69 for oil. Near Albany, NY. [Funny how in 1995 gas was $1.40 & oil was $1.04- over time, citing all the same reasons for price increases, the price of oil has surpassed that of LP.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

$3.18, California.

Which makes filling the (4) 10 gallon forklift tanks a bit pricey. Not counting the bbq bottles

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

2 bucks a liter :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I've been looking at a similar unit only at 75 K btu. Fuel prices got so high that I wrote off doing much in the garage in the winter.

Price seems high. Normal price around here for similar units (don't recall the brand) is slightly around US$460 for the 45k btu version, US$530 for the 75kbtu version.

I priced out the comp> I've been doing my research and have provisionally settled on this item. >

Reply to
RoyJ

Mr. Heater Maxx units, can be found at

and others in that price range.

Reply to
Pete C.

But your health care is free ;)

Reply to
Wes

The sealed combustion chamber cranks up the price a bit.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sealed, or just properly vented? Certainly the unvented POS heaters that will rust all your tools are cheaper, but so is the Mr. Heater Maxx series of garage heaters mentioned that are proper vented heaters.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:10:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

So is the full amount of protection allowed them, by unarmed Bobbies, who may yell "STOP, or I'll yell STOP again!" Ayup, I'd much rather live here in the heart of "Bullets Whizzin'" USA.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The LOE's I saw in London last visit appeared to be slingin MP5's. Not sure if they were bobbies but they were very visable, and looked most capable. ED

Reply to
ED

Electricity = $0.055 per kwh = $16 per million BTU

Propane = $3.69 per gallon = $49 per million BTU

Got this here

This is in Central Oregon where electricity is cheap (for now) and dino fuel is expensive. Diesel is past $4.00 and propane isn't far behind. Nice thing about electricity is the lack of required venting. My .02, YMMV

42

Reply to
42

$0.10764 per KWH here. $31.54 MBTU last contract for propane was $2.00 a gallon. $26.64 MBTU

I think I'll hold off on deciding what form of heat I'm using until July when the next propane contract is set.

Thanks for the info, electric heat used to be very expensive relative to gas in my area. Times have changed.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Electricity $0.055 / kWh? Is that the actual cost per kWh, or are you only looking at the generation charge and missing the distribution charge? Most of the US is paying $0.100 or more per delivered kWh.

Reply to
Pete C.

Both sealed combustion where air being burned comes from outside and vented. I'm glad I haven't ordered it since 42's post showed the economics have changed a lot.

Wes

Wes

-snip-

That sure is a bargain! Here in upstate NY- old Niagara Mohawk country- I'm paying .15320 -- though the actual cost per kWh is listed as .10128.

That poster said he was in Oregon- is that mostly hydro, or nuclear?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Current is $0.1167 /kWh delivered here in TX as of the current bill. Conveniently enough TXU includes a legitimate "average price per kWh" on the bill which accounts for all the costs beyond generation, it's the bill amount divided by the kWh used, so no hidden costs.

Reply to
Pete C.

Have you seen this site?

The average residential prices for the week of:

Date Heating Oil Propane Mar. 24, 2008 $3.81 $2.41 Mar. 17, 2008 $3.79 $2.43 Mar. 10, 2008 $3.65 $2.44...

As long as your State of Michigan tax dollars are paying for it you should take a peek at it now and then.

For current futures pricing look here:

or here to look at oil, gas...

Leon Fisk

No, I have not. Thanks. If our governor really wanted to jump start the economy she would go balls to the wall on nuclear power generation. Combine cheap power with lots of water and brownfields to renovate for manufacturing and we could get out of our current situation.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yup. Total Please pay amount divided by kwh used is 5 and a half cents. A lot of hydro around here and the local electric company is a co-op. We switched from propane to electric for the house and the cost of heat dropped from $200 per month to $70. But on the other hand it now costs $100 to fill the truck up (diesel).

42
Reply to
42