Heating the garage shop

A BIG factor in electricity is the cost of fuel, and whether it's a 'for-profit' utility that's trying to maximize return.

If your region is getting the bulk of their power from Hydroelectric (no fuel costs at all, they just have to pay off the note for building that big dam and buying all the land they flooded behind it) or the like, and your local power utility is a Co-Op that isn't out to gouge everyone, electricity could meet or beat fossil fuels.

But it's 'Man Bites Dog' rare. And the situation could change drastically from year to year.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

They still haven't figured out what to do with the toxic waste. How do you budget for keeping something safe and secure for say 25,000 years? Hell nobody can predict even 5 years into the future at this moment in time...

France is held up as the gold standard for nuclear power. They are now wallowing around in the waste and can't figure out what to do with either.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:47:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon Fisk quickly quoth:

I don't see why. Cites, please?

They're recycling all their old fuel and they're not nearly as paranoid about super-low-level wastes as we are.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We've long since figured out how to reprocess the waste to reuse it, and how to dispose of the waste safe and secure. The one thing we haven't figured out is how to keep the ignorant, irrational and paranoid anti nuke minority from abusing our legal system to waste taxpayers money and time with frivolous lawsuits.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's very simple. While they are at the courthouse you bury it all in their back yards.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why the sealed combustion? Keep in mind the "sealed" combustion with these units is not a tightly sealed unit, it will nor protect you from paint or solvent fumes in the air from reaching the burner. More just to get most of the combustion air from outside. Way over rated IMO.

This would be a better unit, and cheaper too. I have never been impressed with the Sterling brand heaters.

Greg

Reply to
Greg O

We get straight electric residential rates at ~$0.07 a KWH. We can get "off peak" electric heating rates rates ~$0.03 per KWH. The off peak rates require you to have a backup heating source, gas or oil. Welcome to the big city!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Articles are numerous and easy to find via google. What you have to do though is read between the lines and consider the source. Some sources are obviously too rosy and some are much too gloomy. That being said here are a few:

If you want to know more about why nuclear power is a bad idea read some of the articles put out by RMI (Rocky Mountain Institute). They have no real axe to grind and would be promoting it if it was a good way to go.

A quick synopsis is here:

Nuclear waste is mentioned, but they would rather stress the fact that it is just too expensive. Most people can understand dollars and cents...

Punch in "nuclear" at the top of the page in the search box and read some of the top articles that come up that they published in years past. They seem a bit dated, but there hasn't been any reason yet to make changes. The reasons that they give are still valid today.

RMI was behind the creation of today's Hybrid vehicles, LEED building certification...

I used to get their newsletter when I could still afford to donate a few $ to their cause. Their articles were always well researched and thought provoking. The newsletter and old articles are freely available online if you care to read through them.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

My latest bill $0.1109/KWH Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:50:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon Fisk quickly quoth:

Hah! That's a good one. I guess, then, that you can believe everything on the internet if you but read between the lines and consider the source?

Our government needs to develop an expedited program for nuke power. It's their antiquated system which creates the ungodly costs and delays as far as I've read in the past 40ish years. Coal power is just too bloody ugly for words.

They also said, on their climate page "There is now overwhelming evidence that human activities are changing the world's climate. Indeed, there is reason to fear that the environmental and societal impacts of climate change are coming faster and more furiously than previously thought."

Consider -your- sources, Leon.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, I consider my sources quite well. Normally tossing out those that claim something is either white or black and settling for some shade of gray.

We will soon find out whether Global Warming is but a scam or not. No one is really going to do anything to change our course, there will just be a lot of hand wringing, talk and some small scale attempts. It is after all Human nature...

As another poster posits in a different group I read, "I'm still wondering what the guy was thinking, as he cut down the last tree on Easter Island."

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Leon Fisk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably something like, 'Damn, I sure hope this floats'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ive always wondered about the first guy to eat an oyster.....

Was it on a bet with the other guys?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:16:59 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon Fisk quickly quoth:

(Keep whittlin'.)

Many of us already _have_, Leon.

Such as the totally ineffectual Kyoto Protocol?

Scary thought. BUT, did you know that there is more forested land in the USA today than there was 100 years ago? (there are more cities but many fewer farms, so much of the land has been reforested.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Funny thing, I got curious about this a few years back when I was reading about Washington Rock in New Jersey, an outcropping on the first Watchung Mountain (a volcanic ridge) where George Washington watched British troops coming into the state from Staten Island. I've been up on that rock with binoculars and you can hardly see a damned thing all the way to Manhattan and the Atlantic Highlands except for trees, and a few buildings in the town of Green Brook:

There is no way you could see troops on the ground from there today. So I asked a park ranger and he explained that there were no trees then, except for a few farmer's woodlots. The land was all farms, clear-cut everywhere.

Then I saw a period painting in a museum of Washington marching his troops into Morristown, NJ, many miles to the west of Washington Rock, and it looked like wheat fields in the Great Plains. Again, no trees. Today, from the same spot, it looks like solid trees as far as the eye can see.

It appears to me that we have a mistaken image of what the landscape looked like in the US, in regions that were farmed. The farmers cut those suckers down in all directions. I can't speak for other areas, but here in the most densely populated part of the country there are many more trees today than there were even 200 years ago.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've always wondered who decided to try cows milk the first time, or as Calvin of Calvin and Hobbs put it, Who said "I'm gonna pull on this and drink whatever comes out".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 00:49:18 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Too_many_Trolls, I have you filtered but saw your request when reading Ed's reply to you. I otherwise wouldn't have seen it. I won't be quoting pages because I'd rather you fear mongers read the whole book so you'd have at least _some_ factual data to spout in the future.

_Earth Report 2000_ by Ronald Bailey

Cite? (Please have someone quote you, TMT.)

--snip of Ed's cite--

Yeah, it seems like everyone was building homes, bridges, railroads, and stacks of firewood for every home way back then. Every single homestead, every single day of their adult lives. When only half a dozen people around here have woodfires burning in the morning, the whole valley stinks up with smoke. I can't imagine how bad it would be if everyone burned wood every day for heating, cooking, and watching.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:30:43 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Larry Jaques quickly quoth:

I forgot Bjorn Lomborg's _The Skeptical Environmentalist_ and Peter Huber's _Hard Green_.

Data is available but only when you look for it.

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It wasn't just the farmers. During the timber boom my part of Michigan was clear cut. All the trees I see except for at Hartwick Pines are 'new' trees.

Wes

Wes

I remember, from when I lived in Michigan. My boss bought a half-section of property in the UP just because it contained 19 acres of old-growth white cedar. Photos and paintings from a century ago showed that the land was virtually bald.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress