Heating the garage shop

A lot of the UP timber was used to make charcoal to fuel the iron smelters to make pig iron. What a waste eh, all up in smoke...

"In operation from 1867 to 1891, its furnaces produced over

229,000 tons of pig iron to become the second largest producer of charcoal iron in Michigan."

excerpted from:

more info:

Leon Fisk

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:52:16 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

He got "old growth", eh?

He can start buying "carbon credits" now.

-- That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -- Henry David Thoreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm sure it's all cut down by now. He was a recreational-property developer -- and I was a saleman for him. Want to buy a steenking swamp? d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:08:41 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I wonder about the second guy.

Three is always a "Crazy Eddie" who will do or eat anything. It is when Crazy Eddie convinces on of his "sane" buddies to try it.

Charlie: So what have you here, Eddie? This is the result of that bunch of sprouted barley you let get all bubbly, last week, right? And you want me to drink this? Eddie: Yeah, man, it's [burp] great stuff. I think I'll call it 'beer'. Charlie: [takes sip] "More like bear wizz!"

...hours later.

Charlie: "Soooz I'm t'inkin', maybe we can get zome of those hop leaves, and like perk it up... knowwhatI mean? Oh man, look at the time, the ol' lady is gonna be mad! Eddie: Dat might work my friend. Say, wherez a tree?

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Looks like a good gadget. You can get wall heaters from Harbor Freight for about $150. what's the advantage to spending more money? Not sure I can see it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A lot of that old growth that ended up in barns and such is being reclaimed by woodworkers. I take a bit of joy in that. I sure wish we had saved a reasonable percentage of the original trees back in the past.

Being a conservative, I also believe in conservation.

It would be neat as heck to go walking through a 1700's Michigan forrest. I bet it looked nothing like what the local woods do now.

Wes

Wes

I've read that the white cedars were huge. Unlike Eastern red cedars, they don't die when they get pinched for sunlight.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress