HF lets me done

That was pre-VIR & VITS, and AT&T techs could play with the video at every terminal between the feed and the local station.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Russian tubes are what the high end audio geeks put in their new high end tube amplifiers. Ive heard complaints about the Chinese ones.

Check out some of the prices they are wanting for stuff we tossed in the trash 20 yrs ago......

Which reminds me..Ive got 10 spools of wire recorder media. I think they are 1/2 hour spools. Anybody need em?

Thats what Mike needs to be doing..replacing bad caps and transformers and reselling any of the old stuff he can get his hands on.

Ive got a friend in Santa Ana (Calif) who buys all the old stuff he can find, fixes some of it up..and ships Conex's filled with this stuff to Asia. He is doing very very well.

Same with wood speaker enclosures. They buy that shit up like it was dope.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

$37,000 for the pair..or is that each....?

etc etc

"solid state sounds funny"

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Decent cell phone" is a contradiction in terms. Even digital cellular still isn't ready for prime time. I can't remember the last time I got a cell phone call and didn't miss any words, lose sentences in tunnels, or have it hang up on me. I hate cell. The old type gave you garbled hiss, the new type distorts tone and/or just removes words and sentences until it has enough signal to get through. I received a potential new client call yesterday and my digital recorder caught it. She was hispanic and on a typical "bad line". Between her accent (and I'm really good at translating accents), the cell phone distortion, and my digital recorder distortion, the entire call was unlistenable. After the fifth time trying, I finally got her name and something about paint or stain. Cell phones suck.

Yeah, for about an hour. After that, it would be a PITA.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've mostly heard of Macintosh folks replacing the tubes in their MC275 high-end amps with Russian tubes, and liking them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Again, in English, please? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The quality depends on which company made them, and what day of the week. Most of the people selling the Russian tubes buy them in bulk, and test them into sets before selling them to the audio nuts. Then they trash the garbage, if they can't ship them back to Russia.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You amateurs! Vertical Interval Reference, Vertical Interval Test Signal. They allowed proper, and later, automated equalization of video level and the phasing of the Chroma signal on ATT Microwave or underground coaxial network feeds that predated Satellite delivery of network programming. After it was in place, you could change channels without having to adjust the chroma & tint.

That system at its worst, was used the day JFK was shot, to feed every network capable US TV station at the same time. There was no time to do any setup work, ATT longlines connected whatever was available to get the feed across the country with no notice. It was muddy, bad audio and unstable in a lot of cities because it exceeded the system design.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, sounds about right. Kinda like selling Chiwanese stuff, huh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Only, a higher fallout rate for the tubes. You should see the insides of some. Look like they were made the first day in a glass blowing class, and they burned their lips. Crooked supports, bad welds and warped elements. They are hand made, in small batches without the benefit of the documentation of the original tubes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oy vay!

Reply to