Hot melt glue removal (tip of the day)

Ever need to remove that hot glue gun glue? (polyethylene,..or whatever the stuff is)

Dribble/soak the joint with 99% isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). The best applicator to use is a 2 oz. bottle with a blunt syringe tip.

NO open flames around! OK?!!

Let it sit for ~ 15 seconds (very important), and then tug/ pull away at the glue blob.

It doesn't dissolve the glue itself, but it somehow seems to break the bond between the glue & the surface it's glued to.

I doubt that it would work well on any textiles or porous surfaces, but it works great for metal/plastic/glass smooth surfaces.

A co-worker showed me the trick, I can't take the credit.

Cheers! bart

Reply to
bart

bart fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Styrene Adipate will simply dissolve the glue. It's the recommended cleaner for commercial hot-glue dispensers.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah, but can you get it at Ace Hardware? Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt