Machine ID (another what the heck is it?)

Guys,

My friend Dave brought this machine over this weekend for identification. I have posted some pix in the drop box under ClintonFront,.JPG and so forth. Nice tag Clinton Corporation, Misco, Ann Arbor Mich. It has me stumped, so I thought I would let you all in on all the fun.

It is a bench machine with no hold down bolt holes. A sales man's model at 50 lb..? Lotsa chrome. A Vertical Broach / Shaper / Key way Cutter with a neat pick feed that works horizontal into the work piece. The pick feed is adjusted by the knob on the front that spins the cam as shown on the back. Its Hand Powered with plenty of adjustments. Very well made, perhaps from the '50s. The crank handle and perhaps some of the fixturing is missing.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Reply to
James E. Baldock

Hey, Guys, Great!

Is this group Great or WHAT! Micro tome, Wow.

Originally I was way out in left field. Machine Tool 5B Gray, Metal Castings and a Pick Feed of the first order of cooolness. Now that I look at it again - It is kind of light for metal chips....

Now lets see where's the Dremel, how about precision grinder?? Ebay??

James E. Baldock wrote:

Reply to
James E. Baldock

Looks like a microtome. For producing thin sections of tissue samples for microscope slides.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

A microtome, for slicing specimens for microscopy. The missing blade goes in the adjustable holder on the base of the machine, the specimen to be sectioned in the moving clamp.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yup, it's a microtome, very desirable piece of equipment for someone into slicing things exceedingly fine. Weight seems kinda light, my Spencers weigh nearly 70 pounds, and my AO goes about 65. Don't know what new ones go for, or if anyone is making anything other than a cryostat now, but at the time I got my three, new ones were edging close to $10K. Blades are expensive, ten years ago, $200 for the eight inch, $150 for the four inch. Specimen clamp is different than I've ever seen before, the Spencers are made from stainless castings, with most of the internal slides from bronze mounted to a cast housing. The Spencers will slice down to 1 micron, if the knife is sharp and if you hold your tongue right. The knives are very dangerous to handle, when they're dull, they're still sharper than a new razor blade. IF you contact the cutting edge, you WILL be cut. The knife holder on that one looks like it might be from an AO. Interesting toy, but very time consuming to prepare the specimen for sectioning, 23 hours was the quickest I ever got one mounted.

And looking at my old ones, then looking at a new german one, the german one makes me want to puke. If you check, you'll probably find that the plating on the plated parts isn't chrome, but nickel.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

One now has to determine if it was Bio type or Semi type.

Micro tomes slice down IC's thin section at a time - shaving down - then photograph, shave - photograph.......

That was the old way - now there are more modern FIB (Focus Ion Beam) that can cut out or lay down material.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn