Another tool ID needed XXIII

Just posted a few more photos, I have no idea what number 196 is for:

R.H.

195 Valve stem cores 196 Tool for closing split rings? 197 Single edge safety razor blade
Reply to
John Keeney

196 appears to be a left or tight side automatic drum brake adjuster.
Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:54:28 -0500, "John Keeney" calmly ranted:

195 Schrader valves (same as valve stem cores but for A/C work) 196 some kind of crimping pliers with the tips removed 197 yup, a razor blade 198 lock bolt, probably from a desk or display case since it's too small for a dead bolt lock on a door.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've done a ton of brake jobs in my life and have never seen a tool like that.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

R.H. did say:

195 Schraeder style valve stem cores 196 split ring pliers? 197 razor 198 gauge for gear teeth? 198 a very hard, dentist unrecommended toothbrush?
Reply to
WoodMangler

Well it is probably not, but if you have done a ton of brakes you should be able to imagine the short end of the pivot with the holes is where the manual brake cable end goes through. As the cable is pulled the arm pivots and the arm that is bent at an angle engages the star wheel on the adjuster on the opposite end from the wheel cylinder. In my scenario this is not a tool rather a universally part of the brake system that works on either side of the car. Be sure to use your imagination. :~)

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 06:41:38 -0800, "Lane" calmly ranted:

Ditto, as a mechanic. I've seen brake spring pliers but no auto-adjustment tool. I used my pocket screwdriver to hole the pawl and my thumb to roll the adjuster shaft.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cheap hog ring pliers?

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yes

Probably right

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

They are valve stem cores, but I'm sure about if they're Schraeder style.

Sounds like a good possibility

Yes

This one isn't a gauge.

lol, it does sort of look like one

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Possibly

Yes

It's a lock bolt but not for a desk or display case.

Reply to
R.H.

I've finally figured out why I don't see these before there are a bunch of guesses already posted.

Looking at the "Newsgroups: " header, I find:

rec.antiques rec.woodworking rec.crafts.metalworking

*Three* newsgroups -- above my threshold for cross-posting before I get it automatically marked as junk.

I don't see it until someone replies only in the one newsgroup the three which I actually read.

So -- I guess that I am stuck with this problem.

DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Ed Rinehart

This answer is correct.

Reply to
R.H.
199 - Rope maker/braider???
Reply to
paperboy

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:38:56 GMT, "R.H." calmly ranted:

I just reread the size on 198 and realize that's a bloody quarter, not a dime, in the pic. I change my guess from desk lock bolt to bank vault bolt.

200 is a rectangular punch set.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some sort.

Reply to
Leon

It is a somewhat _unusual_ one. Rope winders usually have an _odd_ number of hooks, typically 5 or 7.

There's a reason an odd number of strands 'works better', but it's been too long since I was doing that kind of stuff -- I _don't_ remember what the rationale is.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi