Metric die for optics

I am looking for metric die for some metric taps I already have. The sizes are:

10mm x 0.5mm 11mm x 0.5mm 12mm x 0.5mm

MSC does not offer these sizes, any suggestions for vendors ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Lai

might try Grand Tool Supply Corp. they are in NJ and typically have good Metric from Europe. They have been responsive to me in the past.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I can understand that. These are rather fine threads, certainly not standards. Even 6mm has a 1mm pitch, so these should be quite a bit larger pitch -- if they weren't optical threads.

Frankly, I would consider the ideal die for this purpose to be a lathe with metric single-point threading capability. Dies with that fine a pitch will be difficult to start straight without the assistance of a lathe, anyway.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Martin

I'll give Grand Tool Supply Corp a try on monday.

Thanks for the help.

Metric from Europe.

Reply to
Jack Lai

Don

I would only use the die for touch up work for damaged threads only.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Lai

[ ... ]

O.K. But I suspect that you won't find them as standard parts, anyway. You could go through one of the big tool catalog companies, like MCS, and they can find a company who will make it for you. I had to do this with some special threading chasers for a Geometric die head a while back, and MSC was quite helpful about it.

But these *will* be significantly more expensive than standard ones.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don

I'll give MSC a call next week and see what they can do for me.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Lai