Micrometer refurbishment (partial)

I have an old B&S #19 0-1" micrometer that is hard to read. The numbers have been partially obscured because the metal has darkened with age (and abuse by a former owner).

I lightly sanded the dark areas but it wasn't enough to bring out the engraved numbers. I then used a magic marker to fill in the engravings. That helped for awhile but it turns out that the "permanent" designation on the magic marker isn't quite accurate.The black color quickly disappeared.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what coloring agent to use instead.

Gary

Reply to
grice

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:52:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com scribed:

Hi Gary:

We used to use a black "minwax" type/style pencil to enhance the vernier etchings, was pretty robust and lasted for quite a while. If you sanded the etching too shallow though, you may need to get a new barrel or thimble.

How old is the tool?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Fowler III

Use some instant bluing (gun blue, Walmart, or a gun shop)

Apply it only around the numbers and lines area. No need to be too tidy.

Chuck the thimble in the lathe or a drill press, and use a bit of fine sandpaper to clean off the excess.

Oil and enjoy!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

The Stuff to use is a lacquer stick. Comes in a variety of colors, you rub it in the engraved or stamped markings, let it set up and wipe off the excess. Brownell's has it. Looks like a large crayon, best kept in a sealed container when not in use. As permanent as such stuff gets.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Mcmasters has it also. 2018T2

Thanks Stan, I've been looking for something like that also.

Wes

Reply to
Wes