Milwaukie H milling machine

Does anyone have any experience with a Milwaukee model "H" milling machine? There is one offered closeby and I was wondering if it was worth looking at. I don't even know if it is a vertical or horizontal and by the description given by the seller he doesn't know either. I believe he is selling it for a deceased relative.Any info would be appreciated.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"H" were made as plain & universal horizontals and as verticals. The model number is important, i.e., a 1H has a 40x 9" working surface table as against a 5H having a 94 x 18" table. Weights range from from 2600# for a plain 1H to 12750 for a plain 5H.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Really nice older machines. I prefer the horizontal with a vertical attachment, because you can tilt the head. They have a # 50 taper in the spindle. I have been wanting a 2H for some time now, but space and cash is a problem.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Its also known as a Number 2 size. Just about perfect for the home shop. About 2500=3000 lbs in a very small foot print. A hell of a horizontal miller. Ive worked on many of them, brokered a few and will be installing another one probably Wed.

This same machine was later badged and manufactured by Kearny Trecker, a very famous machine tool manufacture.

They tend to go for between $350-1000 here in So. Cal.

The one Ill be installing Wed came with about 20 extra (!) arbors and what not if you need anything extra.

The only cavieat I have for you...on the very back of the column is a large flip top oil cup that fills the lubrication system. On the left side of the machine, just below the gear change levers is a round sight glass, be sure some oil is visible. If the machine is under power..remove the cover (4 screws) on the Right side of the machine..looks like a louvered vent, and with a flashlight make sure the gears and shafts are getting oil with the machine running.

The last two I condemned died because the gear type lubrication pump blew out gears and stopped lubing the gear box and so forth.

Also make sure that you get the over arm support. Vertical arbors are readily available as well. You can turn a 6" face mill with horizontal or vertical and simply crunch your way through projects. A remarkable machine. Tooling is easily available.. most had 40 taper spindles, some had 50 taper.

Look at the center of the y axis ways below the table. You might be lucky enough to have a Universal table, which allows you to actually turn the table a fair amount to both the right and left for milling on the diagonal. This has a 3ph 3 or 5hp motor depending on year and actual model variation. A marvelous work horse of a miller and very useful

Here are some pictures

(poor picture with rotary table added)
This does weigh more than a Bridgeport mill so keep it in mind when planning a move. But its well worth having if in good running order. And Ive never seen any that were worn out, not even those with War Time plates.

Gunner

Gunner

Close to So. Cal? Ive got access to several

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner , thank you for the info , as always you are a wealth of information. If I ever get to So. Cal. I will be sure to look you up.

pete

Reply to
Pete

Cincinnati or K&T? Both made 2HLs