Name That Tool

(...)

Oh Yeah it does!

That is part of the problem. I have to delay digging for the third day. The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

An Applied Geometry problem for sure. I shall have to put on my "Ponder Hat".

Yup. Elsewhere in the thread, I contemplate repurposing a pair of groove joint pliers to that end.

(...)

Oops.

Shall check it out.

I've met a few, too. Still looking for the exception to the rule. Nuff said.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Or I could slice the ends of a couple black pipes diagonally to make a 'beak' and hinge them a few inches back from the points.

Not fancy but quick and dirty.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Armed with your suggestion, I stumbled across patent 3352589

That is *close* to what I need.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Do these pictures make you wince?

Pretty girls, open-toed sandals, post hole diggers. EEK!

an Erie Digger is what you're after.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

I've never seen a post hole anywhere near large enough for a D9.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmm.... I looked thru some patents too and came up with this:

'm not sure how well it helps you, but maybe it'll give you some ideas to make something. You'll probably need to erect a tripod or gantry crane over the hole to pull out the stone.

Reply to
Denis G.

Diversify: The existing grade is no longer the limit.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

*Now* you tell me.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

For some footings, a similar tool would be ideal. A grapple that engages the *inside* of the cavity left in the footing by the rotten fence post.

I've pulled old footings out of the ground using the old cavity. It's just that I used a web strap instead of a grapple.

Right now though, I'm looking for a hand tool to clean out the little pieces rather than the big pieces.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

That Erie Digger is quite cool! I haven't seen anything like that before.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

If the footprint of the rocks is within the diameter of the hole, how about a trepan?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Actually, the ultimate battle is between Free Will, which is congruent with God's Will, therefore Good, and Statism, which, of course, is in opposition to God's Will, and therefore Evil.

For more information, see

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't follow, Rich.

Can you elaborate?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Grade? You bring the D9, I'll learn how to play with it. Gladly!

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Better?

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hadn't, either. After reviewing it, I'm not sure they sell a whole lot of 'em. The movable shovel doesn't change angle, so it prolly doesn't pick up a lot of dirt in one scoop. The lever probably gets in the way, too. Interesting, nonetheless.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The rocks in the hole ARE the annulus. Trepanning is out, unless you're volunteering as a trepannee. Afraid of drillpresses, Rich?

A vaporizing laser would be my first thought, but I dunno 'bout that Winnie fella.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What is this, 'Non sequitur day'?

--Winston