New HP Calculator Release

HP 11C is by far the best. when I realised that mine was still in use after 25 years I thought that I may just replace all the cheapies around the house with some new HP's.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

OK, that settles it. Now I'm NEVER selling mine.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Who knows when some machines switched - really. Likely in the 80's. I to use Ziploc in the shop for any remote control stuff like my fan. Keeps the light dust out...

and the funky finger prints.

Mart> Accord>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I went shopping for a new hp for the workshop today. in my area of the woods hp has vanished. the local shop stocking them seems only to be stocking the most expensive graphing model. this is now only available to special order since the in shop examples all get stolen. mind you this is in a shop where all the other brands are just in blister packs on the racks so the light fingered people must know quality when they see it. after a city wide search I found one in the other traditional hp calculator supplier. a single hp 9s was on offer for $19.95 so I bought it since it had the traditional enter button of a Reverse Polish Notation machine.

the experience hasnt been a good one! whoever in HP made the decision to abandon the computational elegance of RPN should be flogged, hung drawn and quartered. no wonder that the calculators are vanishing from the shelves.

In comparison to my 25 year old HP11c the HP9s is a crock of rubbish. there are buttons on it that simply dont behave, perish the thought I may have to read the manual and I've been using RPN calculators for 33 years.

Is the HP35s an RPN calculator????

If it is not HP management have prostituted their tradition for excellence and damn them to hell for it.

the 9s is destined for the workshop *without* a ziplock protector.

Stealth Pilot (a dedicated RPN user )

....gee who would have thought that my HP11c might become an heirloom that I pass to my grandson along with my HP35 "granddady of them all".

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

According to Erik :

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

That sounds like the ideal solution. Everybody is happy.

I also find myself seeing entries for the machine which introduced me to programming -- the 9100B (at work). :-) Also the clamshell printer which hung on top of the calculator. It was a variable-RFI device. It printed on aluminized paper with black background, and used electrostatic discharge to burn off the aluminum and let the black show through. As it printed, the paper unrolled (a roll like old adding machines used for normal paper), thus producing more and more antenna to let the RFI get greater range. And I am sure that it would have been possible to analyze the RIF and recreate what was being printed in another room. :-)

The 9825 was another one which I used at work.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Stealth Pilot :

Well ... that depends on what you want to do with it. IIRC, the

10C is the low-end scientific calculator, the 11C is for business math, the 15C (which I have) is for serious scientifc work, and the 16C (which I also have) is for computer math (hex, octal, binary as well as decimal, plus the ability to experiment with low-level algorithms as though you were writing assembly language code.) I have no real need for business math, but I will keep both my 15C and my 16C as long as possible, as I use both regularly.

:-)

I wish that the 15C and 16C were still in production.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You aren't the only one... check this site, it's been around for while too.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I love my HP11C, both of them, the earliest is 1982 vintage and the later is about 1988. The first I lost but it was returned as the finder couldn't figure out how to use it and so returned it. I went to thank him and he said it looked like a damn nice calculator and would have kept it if he could have figured out how it worked. Always funny handing an RPN calc to someone that says 'can I borry your calculator' and waiting for the 'where is the equals key' question. Both saw me through my mech engineering degree and are still going strong although a few of the feet pads are missing and one has a loose bezel. I must get a ziplock for the one in the shop, the other lives by the computer and it would be nice to have a computer math version, maybe ebay. 25 years on and most of the people I went to college with had Casios with the flip out keypad that died after a year or 2, i can see HP calcs making it onto the antiques roadshow in years to come maybe even on the first set of batteries. I guess the don't make them like they used to and I ddn't realise HP still made calcs, they were expensive and not common in 1982.

Reply to
David Billington