New Lathe Advice

on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:02:04 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    Little on the small side, but I'd not kick it out of my shop. :-)
pyotr -- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Is this in a firehouse? It looks like something they'd do when they got tired of polishing the trucks...
Jerry
Jerry Foster wrote:

It's a college machine shop in Hawaii. Even the tow motor is spotless!
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/HiloEquipment.htm
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN

I looked hard and could not find any evidence that they are actually using their equipment.
Likely between semesters - My shop was like that - though not mechanical, it was tops. Start fresh and the students take care and clean up afterwards.
You don't want your shop trashed everyday do you ? Scrap in the scrap not trash. Oil in the oil drain trays.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Ignoramus15713 wrote:

-
On 6 Mar 2007 17:08:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tell your dealer that, and be prepared to pay for pretty as well as function. Domestic tranquility has a price at times, but it's sometimes cheaper than the alternative. <G>
Don't go by what you see on the net. A lot of the stuff that dealers find never appears on the net. Finding good stuff that they can resell at a fair price with a fair profit is part of being a successful dealer.
It could be quite time-consuming keeping everything shiny-bright in a garage in a cool damp climate unless your garage has good climate control that keeps temperature even and humidity low. Otherwise, running surfaces kept oiled like ways will be OK but other surfaces like chucks and crossslide tops tend to develop a brown patina over time. It ain't quite exactly rust, but it is brown.
Keeping all unpainted ferrous metal surfaces protected with a light film of oil could make dusting a bitch. I might suggest polyester curtains for that reason...<G>
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need to 'splain to her that the kitchen is hers, the garage yours. Be firm.

If I did that, she'd be 'splaining to me that the bedroom is for sleeping.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's the trump card :/
Now that I've gotten some advice and links to used dealers, I'll follow them up, but I'd still like to pursue the other option as well: new.
Is anyone aware of a *new* lathe around 9x20 in my price range (<=$5K) that *isn't* made in China?
On Mar 8, 1:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is an Emco in that price range?

I can't seem to find Emco's larger than 5". If I could get a new Emco Maier Maximat 11 for $5K I'd jump on it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No kidding! I'd jump on it too!
I see them listed on some British magazines in the adverts. $5k would make a nice downpayment. Heck, $5k would be a pretty good price for a used one in decent shape. No hope whatsoever of getting a new machine that large for that price unless you buy oriental.
Cheers Trevor Jones

What about Wabeco and Prazi lathes? The American distributer claims they're made in Germany and are around my price range. Are there any gotchas with these?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The only thing I would wonder at is the likleyhood that they will still be around for any time. You pay and take your chances.
The last time I looked at either (it's been a few years) I did not think that they represented good value for my money, on the basis of what you got for the dollar paid.
A 9 inch lathe from either of those two is going to cost you about what a better grade of 12 inch oriental lathe, or good used lathe will. Then you have to equip it and tool up.
And at those prices, you don't even have a quick change gearbox! Wow! Just looked at the website for the Wabeco and Prazi. !! $4000 doesn't go very far, does it?
I am kinda smitten with the Golmatic, but even in that field there are better out there, though I think they are the only ones available new, now.
Cheers Trevor Jones

What do you recommend as a better grade of oriental lathe?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You are in the US? Take a look at the Grizzly lineup. They have a slightly better rep for post purchase support and parts availability, though I would not get my hopes up on buying replacemnts for large castings very far down the road into the future. I have not dealt with them, but have read decent things about them here. I am sur e that the other large purveyors of machine tools (ENCO, Harbour Freight, et al) have their fans and detractors too. Ask and they will speak up.
By the time you get into the price of one of the Wabeco's and a stand and drip trays, you are in pretty near the same price range as a 16 inch swing(at least the lower spec one) lathe from Grizzly. I did not happen to peruse the tools list that is supplied with the Wabeco, so that is another thing to consider.
And say what you want, I wish I could get shipping at those rates for machine tools, here in Canada.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/mach-specs.aspx?keyF0
The Grizz lineup covers a lot of ground, but I figure you would have to either be pretty picky or spoilt by too many european tools to not be able to find a machine to meet your needs here. None of them is exactly the same as a shiny new Schaublin, but they won't cost you $100k either.
There is at least one machine tool dealer (leigh) that posts regularly when he is able to provide new machines at discount, and there is Gunner, the master scrounger of machine tool deals, that often posts that he has encountered yet another truckload of droolable machinery that is available for cheaply, if one does not mind the grime.
To really figure out what is going to suit your needs, though, you are going to have to do a really fair assesment of those needs (and wants). Limiting factors such as "must fit through a standard bedroom door" should also be considered.
If you want to buy new, you have limited selections.
If you wish to limit your choices to those not from the far east, even more limited. Both the above, and affordable, limits you to very small, limited machines at the price of some quite large, capable machines from other sources.
Cheers Trevor Jones
On 6 Mar 2007 09:00:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

He however does go north, as do shippers.
Frankly..if you told him your parameters and told him to ship you a lathe...Id feel comfortable that you would get a damned fine machine, sight unseen.
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham

Very good advice from a credible source.
Any machine must be moved, and loading on both ends is a major part of the move unless you pick it up yourself. I would not hesitate to pay some freight to deal with a good dealer. I bought my Bridgeport from a good dealer in South Dakota (I'm in Minneapolis). It wasn't a gloat "steal" in terms of price, but a fair price at the time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There are dealers here in the Cities, but none I'd mess with had a decent B'Port for what I was willing to pay when I wanted one. I told the dealer I wanted a good functional machine though I'd have no problem with ugly.
His description was understated in both directions. He said he had a pretty good ugly mill. It turned out to be perhaps bettter-than-new functionally (recently professionally rebuilt) though uglier than a reclaim from the wreck of the Titanic. The table looked like it had been used as the killing table in a slaughterhouse, nevermind the paintwork.
Werked fer me and has for 17 years now. That toad-ugly mill is still snug enough that if the temperature in the shop drops 20 degrees the machine gets quite stiff though it's smooth 'n easy at usual ambient. As received, there was a sticky spot in the quill descent. I worked on that spot for three hours with 600-grit SiC wetordry paper to no avail. Hard quill! Then I addressed it very carefully with a fine-grit diamond hone, might have removed a few microns. That did it. It then became silky smooth and still is, though it's not a sloppy loose fit. DTE Lite spindle oil gets past that interface at the rate of about one drop per month.
BTW, it came with an Accu-Rite DRO. The DRO readout crapped out a few years ago. I'd said more than once that if the DRO died I'd replace it before sundown, and that's exactly what happened. The scales and sensors were OK, just needed a new readout box.