One-handed pullups

"Though I tried a fast rep of 25 pull ups [chortle] and started getting some chest pressure at 20 [chortle], yesterday. I cant do more than about 5 one handed pull ups anymore..sigh..old age is creeping up."

A scant three years later:

gummer has never done even a single one-handed pullup, of course. gummer has never been able to do 25 pullups. At age 53, 210 lb, gummer couldn't do *one* two-handed pullup.

Reply to
Harold McKinney

Awwww, Gummer, Moi is proly yer biggest fan here. Only fan?? LOL But goddamm, 1-handed pullups?? Those are hard to find even on youtube! You need gymnastic level strength/wt ratios to pull these off. The guys that can do these are sinewy bean poles. Frank Medrano might be one who can.

A year or so ago I could manage 1 or two barely-controllable negative reps one-handed, at 6', 180 lbs. So unpleasant to do, haven't done them since, sure I'd have to practice like crazy to do them again. Easy to tear a bicep doing these, proly not advisable to even try anymore, esp with age.

This will blow your mind:

Funny, these guys didn't look particularly cut up/developed, but wow... The last guy, even tho he topped the list, is doing some Crossfit kipping bullshit, which proly gave him an extra 5 reps or so. Still, all enormously impressive, these guys disguise the true difficulty of this move.

Keep in mind, this is as much shoulder/lats as it is bicep, maybe more. You can prove this by testing your max curl with weights, proly manage half your bodyweight, the rest comes from lats/shoulders. This is proly where these guys are very strong.

Reply to
Grokman Grokman

I graduated from highschool in 71' at 6'3" and change and 195 lbs. Id spent the previous 12 yrs doing both downhill and x-country skying during the winter months, archery competion and canoe racing during the summer months. My arms were IRRC 17" in diameter. In fact..they were about as big or bigger than my neck. Helping a couple log cutters didnt hurt much either. I had pretty good upper body strength..shrug..not much for legs and thighs..but chest, shoulders and biceps...shrug. I wasnt big and beefy like the body builder types..but when I grabbed ahold of something..it generally didnt get away. I could....get 15 decent one arm pullups..then start to stagger on the last 3-5. Made a couple dollars a time or two in bars and such places doing one handed pullups. Bout the time I left home..I started beating my Dad doing one handed pullups. We used the bathroom door with a wide molding around one side..had about 1" to latch onto. He was/probably still is a stout little bastard. Bout 5'9", about 160ish. Saw him pick up a Jeep engine out of the back of a pickup, carry it over his shoulder and drop carry it over to the crane to put it into the jeep. Ill will never forget that. Bout did him in..but he did it. That engine weighed a fair amount more than he did..so I tried to do better. Dad a couple months ago at 84 yrs of age

I knew one guy, built like an gorilla that could do 30 without breaking much of a sweat. Black guy, about 6', 250. Take a steel helmet in one hand and treat it like the basketball players one handing a basketball. Steel helmets weigh about 3 lbs. Basketball..about 22 oz or so IRRC. Zero flex to get a grip on as well. He grew up on a farm, handling hay bails....thousands and thousands of hay bales. Probably the strongest guy "off the line" Ive ever met. Not real fast..but..strong.

I mostly gave em up after the second back surgery in 89. I had my left arm crushed in 76..so couldnt do but about half of what I could with my right. Took me 3 yrs to be able to pull my standard 70lb bow. Still can do it..but dropped the weight down to 60lbs to save on some of the tears/dings/old joints.

This is what I looked like in 78 or so. Not a "bull of the woods" by any means. I think I was around 180 or so. Got out of the miltary at

167ish in 74.

Ayup, some pretty well setup kids.

Gunner, old, slow and about 215lb these days.

Gunner Asch

Bullshit. You've never done a single one-handed pull-up.

No, you didn't. HERE is who does one-handed pull-ups:

It's someone who is *young* - not 53 f****ng years of age and about to have cardiac bypass surgery - and weighs 40-50 pounds less than you did when you lied and said in 2005 that you could do five.

You've never done so much as one.

Reply to
james g. keegan jr.