OT: Anti-bumpers

I consider the much of the audience here to be some of the more wise and generous specimens of humanity when it comes to advice on modern practical problems like this. I apologize and take full responsibility for my mistake in your case.

And it does seem to be somewhat topical, given all the discussion on trucks and trailers and their structural adequacies or lack thereof.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Bull! You were just looking for people to agree with you. Most everyone who posted in this thread has not agreed with you.

Reply to
Abrasha

Smile as you go under! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Just like in a airplane, The pilot is the guy in charge and responsible. PERIOD. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Instead of trying to whine your way out of the collision by blaming the other guy, why don't you teach your daughter how to act like an adult and show her that in life we sometimes make mistakes and when we do we accept responsibility and the consequences for our actions.

My daughter was 17 when did $1200 worth of damage to our car. She paid for it out of her minimum wage job. Lesson learned.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Won't happen! This guy thinks his daughters Sh!t doesn't stink.. She couldn't possibly be at fault. It had to be something someone else did to cause the accident.

Reply to
NewsGroups

On Mar 14, 4:34=A0pm, Richard J Kinch she slides the Jeep at a crawl

Part of this is criminal law and part civil law.

Your daughter got a ticket because she was at fault. The Honda SUV owner ought to have also gotten a ticket as he/ she also broke the law.

Who pays for the damages is a civil law problem. You could not pay and the SUV owner would have to sue to try to collect. The amount the SUV owner collects ( I assume he/she will collect ) might be less than the full amount of the damage as he/she was negligent and the amount of damage was partly due to that neglect. You could also not pay and try to settle out of court for less than the full amount.

Your insurance company ought to be able to advise you on this.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

How so? There is no indication that the Honda bumper was modified from how the vehicle was originally built. If it wasn't modified, it's a safe bet that it still meets the FMVSS that was in effect at the time of manufacture.

State bumper laws do not necessarily trump federal standards.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Of course they do in this sense. That's the whole point of having bumpers that meet each other, by law. To prevent injuries and property damage.

There are NO federal standards for bumpers on SUVs. Just passenger cars.

I expect it was modified, in the sense that what the mfr passed through Florida certification had no rear-mounted spare tire option. An add-on that spoils the bumpers, sort of like lifting your suspension.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Unfortunately, our judicial system often trumps common sense. From my perspective, when you are the direct cause of a misfortune involving another person, you and you alone bear the burden of recompense. This is valid for motor vehicles, guns, and just about anything else you can think up..

Since the Honda driver did not cause the collision, he bears no fault, and should be compensated in full for his loss, as well as apologized to with honesty.

Bottom line: mind your own business and don't get so careless in your own life that you impose a burden on another person.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

And you would be WRONG. Every CR-V has the rear mounted spare. That is where it mounts on them from the factory. There is NO other location on them for the spare. Just like on all the other vehicles I cited. They all passed federal inspection and that means they also passed Florida laws.

Oh and FYI suspension lifts are not illegal either. Regardless of what you FEEL.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Jon Danniken

BUT his little angel didn't do anything wrong. It was the legal spare tire on the back of the evil SUV that just jumped back and smacked her while she was reciting the lords prayer.... Just because SHE got the ticket doesn't mean anything...

Reply to
Steve W.

Lifts are indeed an illegal modification in Florida and Georgia, if the lifted bumper height exceeds the legal limits of 22 or 24 inches.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

And if they can't get you on that, there are also lower and upper limits on headlight and foglight and driving light height.

There are other limits on suspension clearance, but they apply more to lowering.

There are two 'offsetting penalties' here, and everybody loses. The OP's daughter isn't supposed to be running around smacking people in the rear, and car makers aren't supposed to build vehicles that crack like an egg (lot$ of damage) in what should be a simple bumper smacker with little or no damage. Small bumps are a fact of life.

And having totally ineffective bumpers, or none on trucks, or deliberately hanging things way out past the bumper line like that RAV4 spare tire are all symptoms of stupidity.

The US Govt. used to insist on effective 2.5 MPH and 5 MPH bumpers, but the car makers managed to talk their way out of the requirement. There is a simple way to get them back - the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and their risk analysis ratings.

All the insurance companies have to do is announce widely that they're raising the liability and collision premiums big-time (say

50%) on all cars and trucks that don't have a proper bumper system to cover the increased risk (and reward those who bought wisely with a rate drop), and the free market will rapidly solve the problem.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The only Florida laws pertaining to lifted vehicles are these.

316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter, and shall show a white light. An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's light color may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

316.251 Maximum bumper heights.--

(1) Every motor vehicle of net shipping weight of not more than 5,000 pounds shall be equipped with a front and a rear bumper such that when measured from the ground to the bottom of the bumper the maximum height shall be as follows:

Automobiles for private use: Net weight of less than 2,500 pounds Front 22" Rear 22"

Net weight of 2,500 pounds or more, but less than 3,500 pounds Front 24" Rear 26"

Net weight of 3,500 pounds or more Front 27" Rear 29"

Trucks: Net weight of less than 2,000 pounds Front 24" Rear 26"

Net weight of 2,000 or more, but not more than 3,000 pounds Front 27" Rear 29"

Net weight of 3,000 pounds, but not more than 5,000 pounds Front 28" Rear 30"

(2) "New motor vehicles" as defined in s. 319.001(8), "antique automobiles" as defined in s. 320.08, "horseless carriages" as defined in s. 320.086, and "street rods" as defined in s. 320.0863 shall be excluded from the requirements of this section.

(3) A violation of this section shall be defined as a moving violation. A person charged with a violation of this section is subject to the penalty provided in s. 318.18.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Mar 16, 4:16=A0pm, aarcuda69062 > State bumper laws do not necessarily trump federal standards.

State laws do not trump federal laws, however they are still laws. And just because a auto is legal by federal laws, it does not mean that it is legal by state laws.

An example is the Jeep with lights mounted above the cab. They are against Missouri law and are not sold in Missouri.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Really two different things entirely, not a matter of "trump". The federal regs govern vehicle manufacturing and sales in interstate commerce. The state laws govern actual traffic. When's the last time you got a ticket from the USDOJ?

This is further complicated by the states only registering state-approved vehicles. But you get approval via federal DOT approval or local inspection.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Your daughter was TAILGATING... read that, driving too close for conditions. And YOU aren't on the hook for damage, *SHE IS*. She is

100% at fault because she was DRIVING TOO CLOSE.

"At a Crawl" and "slides into the jeep" don't jibe at all. Maybe you're too close to see this. Was she texting? On the phone? Playing with the radio? Whatever she WAS doing, she wasn't PAYING ATTENTION.

I don't see why you are whinning so much about this in the metalwork newsgroup. And I hope you TELL your dear, perfect daughter that it was HER FAULT and she needs to find a way to pay for it.

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth

Reply to
RainLover